Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: MOLD all over sharpening stones...can i soak stones in bleach??

  1. #1

    MOLD all over sharpening stones...can i soak stones in bleach??

    Hey all,

    Well I packed up all of my stones in a plastic container since last december. Today I pulled it out and opened it and all my stones were covered in mold!! I'm guessing the stones weren't completely dried before storing.

    So today I cleaned flattened all stones with a diamond plate. But im sure there is mold inside the plastic base of the suerika. I was wondering if it would be okay to soak all the stones in a bucket of water with some bleach in it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,214
    Definitely not.

  3. #3
    Well gave it a good cleaning with a brush and water.

    BTW...how would bleach damage/harm the synthetic stones?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,214
    I'm not exactly sure. It would depend on exactly what the stone was made of. You want to test it? I'd be interested in the results. Bleach is a fairly strong oxidizing agent and it's pretty basic. Maybe you can break off a little chunk and throw it in bleach and see what happens.

  5. #5
    Haha....that's okay. I'll let someone else test it out.

  6. #6
    I've done it on my cheap king stones with no ill effects. Never tried on my other stones tho.

  7. #7
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,269
    Vinegar would work.
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

  8. #8
    Give them a good cleaning, a good flattening, and a good cleaning. Leave the stones in the sun until they're bone dry, and you should be good to go. Mold can't live without food and water, so a good sunbathing to dry free from any foods should solve the problem.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by crizq0 View Post
    ... I was wondering if it would be okay to soak all the stones in a bucket of water with some bleach in it.Thanks
    I say - go for it!
    tk59 gave us a "definitely not" - but the reasoning was ???

    At this point, if the mold were to keep coming back then the stones are ruined. If you soak the stones in a bleach & water solution for, oh, an hour, and dried them out whats the worst that can happen? They could be ruined? I would think a 1:10 solution would be more than strorg enough.

    I actually have a small King 1000 finger stone, and a piece of synth. nagura - both broken - I'd happily soak them tonight if you want a test dummy advance run...

  10. #10
    I posted a similar thread a week or two ago. I gave a Bester 1200 a soak in a 25% vinegar solution and checked on it regularly. It soaked over night and most of the mold was gone though there was some minor discoloration left. I rinsed it, then soaked it overnight in water before using it on a Masamoto white #2 petty. The performance of the stone was not affected that I could tell, though I am no expert. The mold I experienced was from putting the stone in the box before it was completely dry, however, not leaving it soaking for so long.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •