A New Respect for Martha Stewart

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was getting my hair cut today and saw in a Martha Stewart Living magazine (sept issue) that she uses Fujiwara Aritsugu knives. The article says that she has collected them over many years traveling to Japan. Here is a picture from the article.

k.

photo-24.jpg

I want to see Mrs Stewart wielding the Soba Knife. Nice try, but these knives look barely used. No Patina on the petty? Hum. Personally I have respect for the Hard-working mogul (convict) but I aint buying this im I'm Miss Japanese knife bull ****. Nothing personal Drinky :biggrin:

I want to see Mrs Stewart wielding the Soba Knife. Nice try, but these knives look barely used. No Patina on the petty? Hum. Personally I have respect for the Hard-working mogul (convict) but I aint buying this im I'm Miss Japanese knife bull ****. Nothing personal Drinky :biggrin:

They could have been polished for the article? Appearance is everything, and while a dirty, patina'd knife is appealing to you and I, it may not be to the average consumer.

"She uses rusty knives?!"

I think you're reading into a mere picture a little much.

I'm not a patina person.....I polish all my carbon knives at end of day when I used them, just like most Japanese chef do:D

C'mon, do you really see her as someone who appreciates patina on her knives? I have not seen her shows often, but always thought of them as almost clinically clean and aseptic, why would she let her knives get 'dirty'?

Stefan

With what are you disagreeing. You mean you DO think they look spotless in the pic supplied. I was just saying how they look to me, and no, I can't see her being a patina appreciator. lol

Oops, sorry, that was more a general comment and not aimed directly at you.

Stefan

No biggie. I was just curious if you thought the knives didn't look fairly well used. Whether she can use a Soba knife is neither here nor there to me. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me. She does so many things well.

Some of these knives look to be sharpened, by hand (hard to say in the pic, but that's my impression). Assuming they are supposedly knives she uses, and aren't just props, they certainly appear to be used knives.

what is interesting and makes me think there is something real going on is the lady is worth north of 500 million, she can afford anything she wants and these knives while not bargain basements are hardly in the stratosphere of j-knifes. she must actually like how they feel and has grown comfortable with them ove the years...

what is interesting and makes me think there is something real going on is the lady is worth north of 500 million, she can afford anything she wants and these knives while not bargain basements are hardly in the stratosphere of j-knifes. she must actually like how they feel and has grown comfortable with them ove the years...

:plus1: plus the fact that there can't be any financial interest in it for her.

...though she could use some new shoes on those puppies

And she can afford to have someone polish her knives after each cut, no??

Also, if she was pitching knives that matched her aesthetic sense, they been some overwrought Shun monstrosities, no???

I've done quite a bit of work with Martha and her company. At her house in Conn and her building in NYC there are listings of rules in the bathroom. Things like don't use your foot to flush the toillet. Crazy stuff like that was everywhere. She is a real neat freak in real life. I'll tell you though she is a better cook then you would think. Especially when it comes to pastry.

Maybe I should just send her a couple of handles, of course something in pastel colors :)

Stefan

For some reason I have always liked Martha. Def. Like her better than Paula Dean. Martha would show the beginning to end.

And she can afford to have someone polish her knives after each cut, no??

I'd pack my bag and go tonight, if she wants me to polish her knives....or anything else for that matter. I wonder if she needs her muffin buttered? ;-)

From what I remember of the article, she talks about how she went to Japan 30 some years ago and started collecting all sorts of japanese items (knives, utensils, dinnerware) and continues to build her cook/dinnerware collection whenever she goes back.

I not to take the cynical approach on this one. Yes, she probably doesn't sharpen her knives or use them as much as others or even cook that much anymore, but if I went to anyone's house and saw a deba, a nakiri, two yanagi, and a soba noodle knife, I would be surprised -- if not impressed.

k.

From what I remember of the article, she talks about how she went to Japan 30 some years ago and started collecting all sorts of japanese items (knives, utensils, dinnerware) and continues to build her cook/dinnerware collection whenever she goes back.

I not to take the cynical approach on this one. Yes, she probably doesn't sharpen her knives or use them as much as others or even cook that much anymore, but if I went to anyone's house and saw a deba, a nakiri, two yanagi, and a soba noodle knife, I would be surprised -- if not impressed.

k.

remember she owned her own catering company for years and did all the cooking. she knows how to handle knives and take care of them.

I think it's legit. What would she gain by pretending she likes Japanese knives, other than a very small collection of people being impressed? Realistically, a lie is just too hard to keep going, and the benefit would be so small that it wouldn't be worth the headache.

I kinda see why people like her....

I remember that she brought on a Japanese knife sharpener (Korin's master sharpener) to her show once. Martha used only common English terms and she didn't call the knives by their Japanese names.

Back