Quantcast
Radiation effects
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiation effects

Radiation effects

I start radiation for cancer next week, which I would not mention here except for the side effect that it will eliminate my senses of taste. They say that taste may return gradually over a period of years, or it may not.

For someone who loves food and cooking as much as I do, it is hard to imagine having no taste, and therefore no interest in food.

This sucks.

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

+1 this sucks.

Man that does suck, but I wish you the best as you go through treatment.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Someone close to me had radiation on her torso and brain, and was told the same thing. She didn't have any smell/taste issues with the radiation, but did have short term issues with both from chemo. Smell and taste got better as time passed post-chemo, but no smell/taste issues from radiation.

Best of luck to you throughout this process - and fingers crossed you don't have smell/taste issues.

Keith, Wow, many of us on the forum know you as an amazing cook and general food authority. Good luck with your procedure and please keep us posted. Not being able to taste is not any reason to stop cooking. We'll be looking forward to more delicious pics. dennis
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
    Someone close to me had radiation on her torso and brain, and was told the same thing. She didn't have any smell/taste issues with the radiation, but did have short term issues with both from chemo. Smell and taste got better as time passed post-chemo, but no smell/taste issues from radiation.

Best of luck to you throughout this process - and fingers crossed you don't have smell/taste issues.
    Thats what heard too. Chemo much worse than radiation. Not that this is very helpful in your situation, i know...

all thes best
    benjamin

Keith, may all go well with the treatments, and if you do lose your sense of taste, may it return quickly.

Rick
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

That sucks. But I hope it's the lesser evil, and that the treatment goes well. FWIW, medical marijuana might help with appetite + nausea, though I think those aren't are as problematic with radiation as with chemo.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I pray for the very best outcome. My mentor always said "You eat with your eyes first"

Sucks.
    My thoughts are with ya.
    I have a co-worker that went though 2 to rounds of it. The first time she lost her taste buds for a few weeks, but spicy food helped to kickstart them back. 2nd time didn't cause a problem at all.

This sounds like a perfect cause for a blow-out "last meal" though. Dont forget the pics!
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

+ Reply to Thread