Quantcast
Watching the Master at work...Kramer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watching the Master at work...Kramer

Watching the Master at work...Kramer

So I've been trying to learn how to properly free-hand sharpen knives. Thus been doing a lot of research on different methods and techniques. I've pulled from Dave M., Maxim and Jon B. I want to learn Jon's way (the traditional Japanese way).

Anyway I hope I'm not breaking the rules but I wanted to share a this video of how Mr Kramer sharpens knives. He's obviously trying to push his products but there is a lot of useful informaton in this video. Sorry if this video has been passed around before. Watching him work that knife just sends chills up my spine. In a good way.

Also, Notice how he really changes the angles on each side of the blade. Its amazing how fast he got that blade to sit up at attention. If there has ever been one, he's certainly a knife Rockstar in my book. Also, He's going back to the postal scale and talking about pounds of pressure to use.

Sorry Dave/Jim if I'm not susposed to post this trype of stuff, just thought everyone would enjoy it.

KKF Comments please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhMGJYhYpU
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Always fun to watch a master.

Interesting, however, I think Jon's video's are absolutly the best and most informative for the traditional Japanese style of sharpening. IMHO. No disrespect to Dave or Maxim, have not seen your videos as of yet.

Good share! Seems like 4-6 pounds is a very high amount of pressure? That said, I've never checked...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

That's the same type of technique that I use and it's fast and efficient. It seems to be the easiest way to hold a consistent angle for me.

I watched all of those vids w/ Bob when they came out. I picked up some things from him, and since then I've found many things to be consistent with things I've learned for others.

The one thing I don't care for with his technique - which I've learned from my own mistakes that have been pointed out and corrected by Dave and Jon - is his sweeping stroke. I've learned that sharpening happens where pressure is applied. That means that it's important to keep you fingers over the center of the stone, and know where on the blade pressure is being applied. When he keeps his fingers in the same place on the blade and sweeps the knife, that will eventually lead to uneven sharpening due to uneven pressure. I bird's beaked a couple of my knives pretty bad because I was using a similar technique.

Beyond that, I have huge respect and admiration for Bob. I really happy these vids are out there for the < unwashed ;-) > masses as I'm really bothered my the main stream food media's continued position that sharpening knives should only be done by professionals - and that's a loose term as that can often mean a shady guy in van with grinders, but not always obviously - and never attempted at home.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I'll see you your Kramer, and raise you a Carter;

The one thing that I find odd is what he refers to as the primary and secondary edge, that we generally refer to as the primary and secondary bevel, and the edge is the edge. Just different terms to refer to the same thing.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    The one thing I don't care for with his technique - which I've learned from my own mistakes that have been pointed out and corrected by Dave and Jon - is his sweeping stroke. I've learned that sharpening happens where pressure is applied. That means that it's important to keep you fingers over the center of the stone, and know where on the blade pressure is being applied. When he keeps his fingers in the same place on the blade and sweeps the knife, that will eventually lead to uneven sharpening due to uneven pressure. I bird's beaked a couple of my knives pretty bad because I was using a similar technique.
    I don't quite sweep like Bob does, but when I am moving fast I walk my fingers along the blade very little (depending on blade length). Instead I regular pressure through each finger independently, kinda like playing a piano or keyboard. All of my fingers are in contact with the blade but only the one centered on the stone is applying any pressure.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Good one MP!
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I think with the way he holds his knife and strokes the stone the pressure across the blade is a lot more even than you might think. Besides, he's the master, how can you go wrong duplicating anything he does.

+ Reply to Thread