japanese stone ID

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarth

Reaction score
I picked this up from a local knife guy/chef. "Kyoto stone" is what he called it... Super smooth. Hard stone. So far only used it on a pocket knife... Kershaw 1760 with 14C28N stainless. No mud...just black swarf. Any ideas?

photo%2525203.JPG

photo%2525202.JPG

Hi Swarth!
Most natural sharpening stones tend to come from Kyoto. Could you elaborate on how it sharpens?

I was able to raise a bur fairly quickly and got a near mirror finish out of the 14c28n stainless.

Does this stone have two stone markings on it? One traditional looking kanji and another with 330mate.co.jp? If so, it's amusing that you have this stone (in a great way)!

There appears to be the reminance of a mark on the surface shown...

I do know this stone and it's an incredible buy. The 330mate stamp is only one half of a great story; the stone was quarried and tooled by a master and his student specifically for a bladesmith and given to him during a visit as a token of gratitude. Anyway, that's what I know about this stone. Great purchase!

I do know this stone and it's an incredible buy. The 330mate stamp is only one half of a great story; the stone was quarried and tooled by a master and his student specifically for a bladesmith and given to him during a visit as a token of gratitude. Anyway, that's what I know about this stone. Great purchase!

No way do you get to stop there:disdain:

Sounds interesting, what's the whole story?

No way do you get to stop there:disdain:

Sounds interesting, what's the whole story?

Not much more to it than that, I'm afraid! Needless to say, it's a special stone and I was very surprised to see it when I opened this thread up! :)

To clarify, the student in my story was 330mate.

Was this the stone given to the Canadian born ABS mastersmith?

Back