Quantcast
Knife Sharpening "Course"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpening "Course"

Knife Sharpening "Course"

Ran into this in reference to something else on the site then bumped into their "Knife Sharpening Course", it was free/not difficult or asking of much info to sign up and there is even a test at the end. Nothing really ground breaking but some of the other things they offer may be. Link Here

i just spent some time watching them, and while they have nice production value and will probably be enough for most end users, there are a number of bad habits being taught and a number of things that will eventually cause problems with the knives they are sharpening. Just something to keep in mind.

Jon, what's your opinion on the tip sharpening technique they showed? I remember watching in one of your videos that the sides of a synthetic stone is usually harder than the face, and it seems like this would cause gouges on the sides of the stone that would be difficult to fix too.

the hardness of the sides is not significant in this case... that is more about how stones wear with use.

Fixing tips on the sides of stones will cause gauging, but its also the best way to fix tips on stones like that (diamond stones work well for this kind of repair too and you dont need to use the sides on those). However, working from the edge as they do will lead to a large increase in belly or curve to the profile where the repair was made. Working from the spine (and maybe a bit from the edge, depending) is a much better way to do the repair.

I'd like to have a drink with that Grant guy.

And then punch him in the mustache.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    the hardness of the sides is not significant in this case... that is more about how stones wear with use.

Fixing tips on the sides of stones will cause gauging, but its also the best way to fix tips on stones like that (diamond stones work well for this kind of repair too and you dont need to use the sides on those). However, working from the edge as they do will lead to a large increase in belly or curve to the profile where the repair was made. Working from the spine (and maybe a bit from the edge, depending) is a much better way to do the repair.
    That's how I fix tips,depends on the break,sometimes take more from the spine than the edge.I reccom. your U-Tubes to everyone I teach.Japan style sharpening has certainly worked for me over the yrs. & I like to pass it on,makes an old fart like me feel useful.

Anyone know what "artisan made" damascus knife he is sharpening in one of the vids?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Can you post a link please?

Hoss

Thanks easy, I was hoping to see the artisan Damascus knife Johnny was talking about.

Hoss