Figured Big Leaf Maple - New Blocks Stabilized by K&G

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
These blocks just came back from getting stabilized by K&G. I just finished adding them to our web store.
This link will take you to the Brand New Pieces category in our web store.
The way these blocks are cut the figure is kind of in between Flamed and Quilted.
The figure is very chatoyant and shows a lot of movement as you will see in this video. I thought they looked really good. Hopefully you will too.
[video=youtube;FFSfVKgxv0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSfVKgxv0c&feature=share&list=UUEjCkRooxG4tkYSmWPB4_lg[/video]

These blocks were not dyed. The coloring developed from spending several years in a creek in SW Oregon.
I cut these blocks from a crusty old maple burl that I got from a wood turner that said he is too old for woodworking anymore. When he got this burl he said he tossed in the creek to let it color up and then let it finish drying in his barn. I really like how these blocks turned out.

I just finished posting these blocks in our web store. Use this link to go to the Brand New Pieces section of the store.

Here are photos of the burl when I cut it in half to see what was inside.
mb001_zps6ae395ad.jpg

mb002_zps62031317.jpg

Back