Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: any recommendations for sous vide pork neck?

  1. #1
    Senior Member riba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    133

    any recommendations for sous vide pork neck?

    Last weekend I was strolling the aisles of the supermarket and spotted iberico pork neck. It was begging me to go home with me, so I kindly obliged.
    Since the arrival of my little girl 11 months ago I haven't been doing too many new recipes in the kitchen (besides babyfood ). As I am a little short on time I am looking for food that requires not too much effort but still tastes great.
    I am considering cooking it sous vide (68 degrees for 24 hours), then finish it on a hot pan and serve it (pulled with bbq sauce) with potatoe mash and fried sauerkraut. Just as simple 'weekday' meal.

    Any recommendations are welcome (I never cooked this cut before).

    (Note: I am a not overly experienced home cook )

  2. #2
    daveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Just outside Tampa
    Posts
    1,398
    I've got some venison neck meat from last season that I've been avoiding but am now looking for ways to prepare it. Of the different cuts it seems to most closely resemble cheeks in texture and will probably be fairly tough. That said I'm looking for a slow cook, probably a SV braise. I'm leaning toward doing a confit with part of it (I have close to 10 lbs) and go from there. Below are some cut and pastes from EGullet that I'll use for guidance.

    "Exactly! If you want to match traditional confit texture then you need to be 170F / 77C to 180F / 82C, and generally for at least 6 hours.

    The exact time depends on how tough the meat is (which cut etc). You can up to 12 hours, especially if you got at the lower end of the scale
    ."

    and SV braised with red wine reduction and mire poix:

    "Pork cheeks: 74 C for 12 hours... Fantastic structure but I will try at lower temperature to see more tender meat

    Beef Checks: 74 C for 31 hours.. The least tasty meat. Texture was okay, but I could not see the difference in the texture of the meat of sous vide and braised. However the meat was pink as oppose to be well done.

    Veal Cheeks: 84C for 8 hours. By far the best tasting cheek of the 3. However the job was not completely done as the tendon/fat was kind of guey... Not sure why but I did not like that. I think that if I go lower temp for longer the transformation will be more complete and this guey stuff will be more in Gelatin form. I might be wrong but I have a feeling that I did not cook for long enough.... 8 hours was too short.
    "

    Comments welcome and hope this helps.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

  3. #3
    Senior Member riba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    133
    I was taking my inspiration from baldwins sous vide guide (pulled pork, suggesting 80 for 8-12hours, and 68C for 24h).
    Your notes seem to imply a slightly higher temperature though...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by riba View Post
    I was taking my inspiration from baldwins sous vide guide (pulled pork, suggesting 80 for 8-12hours, and 68C for 24h).
    Your notes seem to imply a slightly higher temperature though...
    A favourite is cutting them into 25mm/1 inch steaks without skin. Cook @62C for a couple of hours in butter, let stand in bag for 5 min then flash off moisture before browning. Serve with a sauce of fried apple cubes, red shallots and brandy (add the bag juice if you don't mind the protein bloom).

    Sell them as "pork scotch" fillet down here and it takes to quick cooking quite well with all the fat.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    619
    Iberico pork neck will be such a good piece of meat that cooking it past 60c would be sacrilege. Two hours should do it, even at a low temp 24 hours will make the meat take on a pasty texture.

    I wish we could get that sort of pork fresh in Australia, the only Iberico we see down here is cured - and amazing, enjoy!

  6. #6
    Senior Member riba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    133
    Allright then, last week I had my first attempt at (half of) the pork neck. 24 hours at 70 C resulted in a tender and flaky dinner, and compliments of my better half. Great success Thanks for all the suggestions!

    When noting down the details I noticed that I previously have tried 5 hours @ 60C. Then I received the complaint that the result was too fatty. I guess cutting it into 1 inch steaks and flashing it like JCHine describes might solve that? The "pork scotch" fillet sounds delicious and I will certainly try that!

    @Dusty: yeah, I am very lucky that I can get fresh Iberico here. And jamon iberico is indeed out of this world. A couple of times a year I have to go to Madrid for work, jamon iberico is always on the shopping list (to be specific, Paleta Iberico de Bellota).

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mucho Bocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,531

    any recommendations for sous vide pork neck?

    Quote Originally Posted by riba View Post
    Allright then, last week I had my first attempt at (half of) the pork neck. 24 hours at 70 C resulted in a tender and flaky dinner, and compliments of my better half. Great success Thanks for all the suggestions!

    When noting down the details I noticed that I previously have tried 5 hours @ 60C. Then I received the complaint that the result was too fatty. I guess cutting it into 1 inch steaks and flashing it like JCHine describes might solve that? The "pork scotch" fillet sounds delicious and I will certainly try that!

    @Dusty: yeah, I am very lucky that I can get fresh Iberico here. And jamon iberico is indeed out of this world. A couple of times a year I have to go to Madrid for work, jamon iberico is always on the shopping list (to be specific, Paleta Iberico de Bellota).
    RIBA what country do you live in? Italy or Portugal I'm conjecting?
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

  8. #8
    Senior Member riba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    RIBA what country do you live in? Italy or Portugal I'm conjecting?
    @Mucho Bocho: I wish.... I am from The Netherlands. I guess not really a country known for its food

    kind regards,
    Jasper

    (but you are guessing our retirement plan (Portugal/Spain/Italy, but that's still far far far away Ah well, one can dream )

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •