Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about low temp cooking (sous vide, slow roast, etc.) and safety

I always wrap my proteins in a towel for 15-30ish minutes to ensure a very dry surface for Maillard. I've gotten lots of questions about it over the years....but only about 3 people have tried it themselves and reported on it.
    Tried the towel trick; worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I always wrap my proteins in a towel for 15-30ish minutes to ensure a very dry surface for Maillard. I've gotten lots of questions about it over the years....but only about 3 people have tried it themselves and reported on it. Everyone else thinks I'm crazy...but then they say it tastes pretty good
    A trick i have used for years is to store the portioned meats or seafood on those soaker pads that you get on the bottom of packaged meats.You have to buy in bulk but they cost less than a cent.It is particularly good on skin on seafood portions-store them with the skin on the pad and when you cook them you get really nice crispy skin.

I stick a thermometer into the thickest part of the meat to reassure myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JCHine View Post
    Tried the towel trick; worked a treat.
    I must have missed this last year, excellent! super easy, and I would guess most of us have quite a stack of towels lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by scotchef38 View Post
    A trick i have used for years is to store the portioned meats or seafood on those soaker pads that you get on the bottom of packaged meats.You have to buy in bulk but they cost less than a cent.It is particularly good on skin on seafood portions-store them with the skin on the pad and when you cook them you get really nice crispy skin.
    Interesting...wonder how this would compare to the towel.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.