Source for good Anchovies?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second Trader Joe's if you have one near you. I went for the first time a few weeks ago and fell in love with the place.

MR. These anchovies are packed in salt so I remove them from a jar, rinse salt off with water and soak them in shallow milk bath for 15--20 minutes. The Filet the filets to remove backbone, mince.

1.) Boil pasta in salted water. Al dente, drain but save two cups of pasta water.
2.) In same pan, add a good glog of olive oil, a pinch of Italian red pepper flakes, some minced garlic and minced anchovie. Saute on medium for 2 to 3 minutes until it becomes a paste.
3.) add 1/2 cup dry white (dry vermouth), reduce to syrup
4.) Add maranara (or crushed tomatoes), cook into anchovie paste, reduce a bit.
5.) Add drained pasta to red sauce, add 1 cup of pasta water. Cook until tomato sauce coats pasta. Serve wth lots of fresh grated parma and maybe a little more olive oil.

Thanks Mucho, we'll give it a try tomorrow with her sister. Maybe using more tomato the way you are will do the trick. At least I know if she won't eat it, I will!
MR. These anchovies are packed in salt so I remove them from a jar, rinse salt off with water and soak them in shallow milk bath for 15--20 minutes. The Filet the filets to remove backbone, mince.

1.) Boil pasta in salted water. Al dente, drain but save two cups of pasta water.
2.) In same pan, add a good glog of olive oil, a pinch of Italian red pepper flakes, some minced garlic and minced anchovie. Saute on medium for 2 to 3 minutes until it becomes a paste.
3.) add 1/2 cup dry white (dry vermouth), reduce to syrup
4.) Add maranara (or crushed tomatoes), cook into anchovie paste, reduce a bit.
5.) Add drained pasta to red sauce, add 1 cup of pasta water. Cook until tomato sauce coats pasta. Serve wth lots of fresh grated parma and maybe a little more olive oil.

Great, I always wondered which ones to get and never thought of the salted kind. Now to find some good salted capers next... Unfortunately, Amazon does not ship food to Hawaii, so I am stuck with Wholefoods or need to re-route packages througha middle man.

Stefan

Back