Quantcast
Kato handle removal
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kato handle removal

Kato handle removal

I'm thinking about removing the burnt chestnut handle from my 240 Kato for refinishing and eventually selling. I'm familiar, and have done the board/hammer trick(thanks Marko), but this looks like it might have been installed using the hot tang method? If so, will the board trick still work? And will it affect the fit of the handle afterwards?

Thanks in advance,

- Josh
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

I removed a hot tang handle with that method. It didn't really affect anything as far as I could tell. I had to modify the handle because the original install was crooked. I needed epoxy to set it back as I had to enlarge the opening to get things straight.

Thanks for the reply. Just popped it off no problem. Now to start sanding the night away...
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

The "board/hammer trick" works only with burned on handles, or those that have been very, very lightly epoxied.

Anyway, the Kato handle comes right off and can be replaced without epoxy (at least once, in my experience).
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Thanks Rick. Yup, it came off pretty easy. Was a little tighter than the Hiromoto I did last week. The kato had a nice charred wood odor when the tang released.

I like burnt chestnut handles a lot. You're putting it back on, right?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I like burnt chestnut handles a lot. You're putting it back on, right?
    Yup. Just took it off to remove some of the thinning scratches and re-finish it before selling. Now I'm thinking I might just pop it on the B/S/T, might not have the time for polishing and could use the funds. We'll see. I'm a big fan of the chestnut wa's as well. So comfy.

+ Reply to Thread