Exotic Whetstones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjo1071

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Apart from the well known japanese whetstones (which come at quite a price), there are many other natural stones all over the world, that can be used as sharpening stones.

Who ist using whetstones other than japanese? And why? I am looking for a really obscure stone (although the most obscure is most likey a stone for $10K from japan...)

I got myself a slate hone from ebay (from wales) and its not bad for the price. I also played around with thurigian whetstone (not an Escher, though)....

Greets
Benjamin

What about Belgian Coticules? They seem quite popular for razors and knives and aren't super expensive. I've also heard of some natural stones from Israel

Hi everyone
Apart from the well known japanese whetstones (which come at quite a price), there are many other natural stones all over the world, that can be used as sharpening stones.

Who ist using whetstones other than japanese? And why? I am looking for a really obscure stone (although the most obscure is most likey a stone for $10K from japan...)

I got myself a slate hone from ebay (from wales) and its not bad for the price. I also played around with thurigian whetstone (not an Escher, though)....

Greets
Benjamin
Go to one of the big razor forums and do a search you will find a bunch of european and mainly with origin from UK stones- Yellow Lake, Llyn Melynlyn, Tam Oshanter, Dalmore Blue, Charnley Forrest.
From US you may be able to find a Hindostan hone. Then there is Turkish Oil stone, and Cretan hone from Greece. From Germany you can get Thuringian or Escher.
Most of those hones are going to be a final hone for a knife but they are mainly razor hones. Some are very expensive as well.

Yeah Coticule is more expensive now then Jnats in same size :(
But i think all of them is very good as stropping stone. They will not really polish they are way to hard for that.
But that what make them very good for razors

thx-a-lot guys..
I will check out the ardenne-stuff then..

Back