Slicer Guidance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuff

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first posted question here I think.

The other day I made corned beef in class and sliced it up by hand with my 270mm gyuto. It did the job admirably well but I couldn't help but think that perhaps I should be using a slicer. Less need to adjust the cutting for the belly of the knife maybe?

I rarely slice. I'm in school but have no aspirations to be a pro chef. I don't slice are home much either, maybe Thanksgiving or Christmas. My workhorse knives are good knives, Nenox, Ashi, Kikuichi-monji, Sabatier carbon Nogent. If I were to add a slicer, what might a look at? Carbon is fine since the usage is so low. Should I stick with a traditional Sab or Wusthof slicer or go with a Suji from Misono or other? And what length? Seems like I was wanting my 270mm gyuto to be a little longer cutting that brisket but that could have been because of the belly of the knife? I don't see many Sujihiki listed about 270mm so maybe 270mm is adequate?

Thanks,

-AJ

You should get as long of a suji as you have room for and are comfortable with. Most sujis are 270 or 300mm but I've seen some longer and some shorter. I find a 300 mm slicer perfect for brisket. I made mine a little shorter because I tend to have a lot of people in my kitchen when I'm making brisket and I always feel like I'm going to stab someone with it.

In school and not aspiring to be a chef? I'm confused by that one! I'm a full time sleeper and I'd love to be a pro chef ;)
Back to the question...is your gyuto a wa or yo (western) style? Western blades are a noticeable amount longer than their wa style counterparts, because of where the "270mm" is measured from. If your 270 is a wa, then a 270 western might actually be just the right length, and you might even own one already.
If you want to get a suji, just to get a suji, then nobody is going to stop you, but realistically, I doubt you need it. The again, that hadn't stopped me from my recent purchases.
With that in mind, take a look at a CN suji. I've heard nothing but good things about them!

You should get as long of a suji as you have room for and are comfortable with. Most sujis are 270 or 300mm but I've seen some longer and some shorter. I find a 300 mm slicer perfect for brisket. I made mine a little shorter because I tend to have a lot of people in my kitchen when I'm making brisket and I always feel like I'm going to stab someone with it.

I think you have more to worry about than the size of your suji, if you think you might stab someone with it...maybe a Mac Original, with the rounded tip, would be better suited for you, Tom! ;D

In school and not aspiring to be a chef? I'm confused by that one! I'm a full time sleeper and I'd love to be a pro chef ;)
Back to the question...is your gyuto a wa or yo (western) style? Western blades are a noticeable amount longer than their wa style counterparts, because of where the "270mm" is measured from. If your 270 is a wa, then a 270 western might actually be just the right length, and you might even own one already.
If you want to get a suji, just to get a suji, then nobody is going to stop you, but realistically, I doubt you need it. The again, that hadn't stopped me from my recent purchases.
With that in mind, take a look at a CN suji. I've heard nothing but good things about them!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am sort of a conundrum. I have an Ashi 270mm gyuto with a western handle. Like I said, it does the job fine, but I'm thinking I'd like a slicer, even if just to say I have a slicer. And it felt like if my knife had been flatter, it would have cut that corned beef better.

-AJ

If I were you, I'd get something in carbon steel and at least 300 mm. It would take a nice patina cutting meat and it takes a nicer edge. For strict slicing purposes, it doesn't even have to be particularly thin, either.

If I were you, I'd get something in carbon steel and at least 300 mm. It would take a nice patina cutting meat and it takes a nicer edge. For strict slicing purposes, it doesn't even have to be particularly thin, either.

Thanks TK, that helps narrow the list down fast.

-AJ

I usually use a 270mm wa gyuto and 300mm western suji. If you already use a 270, a 300 is a good start. I use my suji way more than I thought I would.

My suji isn't flatter than my gyutos though. I think most of them have a very slight belly from tip to heel, with almost no actual flat spot of any significant length.

Recently I have gone back to using my Kikuichi carbon elite suji 270 and I have really been digging it. It is definitely worth checking out.

Have a look at the carbon Fujiwara FKH sujihiki. Great F&F. Price around $70. I've heard great stuff about the Nogent slicer but don't have it myself, but it has a full bolster most people find litterally an obstacle. Regards.

I've been really pleased with my 300 wa-handled suji in O-1 mde by Pierre Rodrigue. It pulled slicing duty at the ECG, slicing up the briskets Warren prepared :cool2:

The blade is pretty flat at the heel end; there is a slight curve closer to the tip.

It's one of the knives that turned me onto pierre's work. I love that thing!

...I rarely slice...I don't slice are home much either...-AJ

As a voice for thse who have been dramaticlly & negatively impacted by the economy....what about the Forschner 12" slicer?
$45 for the 12", fibrox handled version.
I've actually owned the 10" rosewood version for 10 +/- years? I really don't think you can bat the bang for th ebuck...plus nice flat profile.

AJ,

I hate to speak badly about a line of knives, and for all I know, I just happened to get four out of four Sabatier Nogent knives with issues last year. All four blades were warped, bending to one side, and one was actually twisted. When placed flat on a cutting board or countertop, the tip of the 10" slicer I got was a good 3/8" off the board. The 9" chef's was a bit better, only about 1/4". The 6" slicer had a twisted blade so that the edge would not make contact with the board the length of the knife. The blade of the 4" paring knife was fairly straight, but was angled to one side from the tang. To their credit, The Best Things took them back without question. If you order one, please inspect it before you use it.

On the other hand, the three Misonos I've owned were all fine OOTB, as were two Fujiwaras.

Rick

Thanks Rick, very helpful and a good point on the Nogent. I bought a 9" Chef knife and had it straightened. It is a favorite of mine now though I wish I didn't have to have sent it off for rework.

-AJ

AJ,

I hate to speak badly about a line of knives, and for all I know, I just happened to get four out of four Sabatier Nogent knives with issues last year. All four blades were warped, bending to one side, and one was actually twisted. When placed flat on a cutting board or countertop, the tip of the 10" slicer I got was a good 3/8" off the board. The 9" chef's was a bit better, only about 1/4". The 6" slicer had a twisted blade so that the edge would not make contact with the board the length of the knife. The blade of the 4" paring knife was fairly straight, but was angled to one side from the tang. To their credit, The Best Things took them back without question. If you order one, please inspect it before you use it.

On the other hand, the three Misonos I've owned were all fine OOTB, as were two Fujiwaras.

Rick

My 8" Canadien Chef's was also bent. I took the $25 offered by TBT as it was a PITA to send it back to the States from Australia. My 10" Nogent though has a straight blade but a slight twist at the tang.

It's worth noting too that the knives I received from K-Sabatier in France are perfect.

I've been really pleased with my 300 wa-handled suji in O-1 mde by Pierre Rodrigue. It pulled slicing duty at the ECG, slicing up the briskets Warren prepared :cool2:

The blade is pretty flat at the heel end; there is a slight curve closer to the tip.

That thing was so much lighter than I thought it would be when I picked it up. Very nice.

I completely forgot...I have a NOS Sababtier that I picked up from Lee Valley years ago when they had that slug of NOS...I'd bet it's nogent.
Mine is a 10" and is relatively flexible, and also has a warp to the left (nothing dramatic, but it's there). I know I didn't pay $80+ for it, and I actually like the Forschner more.
I can't check pricing from work, but the Hiro G3 may be a great value? I also use a Hiro AS, and as nice and sharp and sexy as that is, about half the time I reach for the forschner.

In the end...."I rarely slice..."

OK. sounds like for quality reasons I'll stop looking at the Sabatier. But still, say a Forschner vs Misono, what does the extra $200 buy me besides a cool dragon engraving?

-AJ

OK. sounds like for quality reasons I'll stop looking at the Sabatier. But still, say a Forschner vs Misono, what does the extra $200 buy me besides a cool dragon engraving?

-AJ

I own both knives and I'll be honest, on the kinds of meat I slice I prefer the Forschner simply because I leave a lot of "teeth" on that knife in order to get through bark (on briskets). I'm sure the Misono will be awesome when I se it on chicken breast or ham (even the money muscle on pork butt). Actually, of the six slicers I now own my favorite is the Wusthof Super slicer with the wavy edge.

I've been poring over pages of knives. Do I understand that, in general, carbon slicers will be sharper than stainless? Are the HD or Carbo Next knives in between? I want a good knife in the up to $300 range, but given my anticipated low usage of a slicer/suji I'd rather spend less than more in that price range.

Thanks,

-AJ

i have done alot of slicing with my 300+mm WA
its mych better then usinga chef blade on brisket or any other need for nice even slices. my latest use was deer loin sliced thin to make cheese steaks and then the next day fajitas
247496_1727066867124_1551997027_31387896_7449605_n.jpg

next up is nice thin slices for beef jerky

I've been poring over pages of knives. Do I understand that, in general, carbon slicers will be sharper than stainless? Are the HD or Carbo Next knives in between? I want a good knife in the up to $300 range, but given my anticipated low usage of a slicer/suji I'd rather spend less than more in that price range.

Thanks,

-AJ

They do not get sharper, they are just easier to get sharp. TK59 has stated that he can get a Forscher to push cut a tomato with ease.

So much information my head is swimming! AHHHH!

Ok, I do own a Glestain Salmon Slicer, this: http://korin.com/Indented-Blade-Salmon-Slicer?sc=20&category=51928.

media.nl

I never think about it, it pretty much lives in a drawer. In my desire for a Suji am I discounting the salmon slicer? Do I already have the tool I need?

Thanks for everyone's patience with my newbie questions,

-AJ

Last edited:
That looks like a wicked slicer to me!

I don't know this particular knife, but as you were looking for a long suji for slicing tasks and not a shorter one that can double as a huge petty for cleaning cuts of meat, I'd say give the knife a try. Get it sharp and use it, as long as it is not too flexible (the salmon slices I know are quite flexible but also much narrower) and you don't miss the pointed tip, it could be the knife you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back