Quantcast
US Made kitchen knives
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Made kitchen knives

US Made kitchen knives

I'm writing a blog series on building a 500-mile kitchen and am looking for US made knives. I'm building a database so all resources and leads are welcome.

Thanks,
    Jennifer
    Last edited by Jim; 06-01-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Custom makers or massproduced knives?

I know Bill Burke lives in Boise

But I think he is not within you budget

Devin Thomas lives Panaca

I also think a custom from him is out of your budget.

BUT he makes a serie called the ITK. Its a mid-tech knife sold by CKTG
    http://www.This Site Not Allowed Here.com.com/dethfokn24ab.html
    That should be within your budget

There are a lot of custom knifemakers, but then again we have no idea what you looking for

Engorged Member
    I hate telling you this...Wildfire cutlery is in Oregon. You need to send them to Dave Martell to thin and sharpen them.

Pesky

Michael Rader is in Washington. raderblade.com
    Substrata makes cutting boards and counter tops and they are in Oregon. substrata.net
    Jon Broida will soon have a store in L.A. that sells Japanese made knives. They aren't made in your 500 mile radius, but maybe he can sharpen whatever you come up with? japaneseknifeimports.com
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

If I'm understanding right, the goal of this endeavor is to piece together a kitchen in a "green" way by purchasing locally produced products that are energy efficient and environmentally sustainable. The "500-mile" concept is that less energy is used to transport the goods when compared to globally produced and mass marketed products.

Hmmm... it looks like you have your work cut out for you. I can tell you that many of the US based custom knifemakers would be more than happy to discuss with you where their materials come from and how they come together. Much depends on your needs and your budget, and you haven't provided that information yet.
    - Sean

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Michael Rader is in Washington. raderblade.com
    Substrata makes cutting boards and counter tops and they are in Oregon. substrata.net
    Jon Broida will soon have a store in L.A. that sells Japanese made knives. They aren't made in your 500 mile radius, but maybe he can sharpen whatever you come up with? japaneseknifeimports.com
    Substrata makes mediocre boards. I wouldn't recommend them (from personal experience).

Wildfire Cutlery makes below par knives. Let's be a little more diligent in your referrals, folks. You have been on the forums for a while, you should know.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Substrata makes mediocre boards. I wouldn't recommend them (from personal experience).

Wildfire Cutlery makes below par knives. Let's be a little more diligent in your referrals, folks. You have been on the forums for a while, you should know.

M
    She's not looking for quality, she's looking for proximity.

The location of the knifemaker is irrelevant. It's where the steel comes from you should care about. Knives made close to their steel source in China, Japan, Europe or wherever then shipped to the US (or Canada, where I live) will be much more efficient emissions-wise than things made in the US with steel from far away.

Manufacturing process is also likely very important, but I don't know enough to talk intelligently about it. I would suspect that decent knives like we all have use more energy to be produced than cheap molded ones, but I don't really know. There's also something to be said for the longevity of a forged blade.

Lamson-Sharp claims to be made in the US.

-AJ

Lamson, Dexter/Russell, Ontario (Old Hickory) and Cutco (Alcas) are all made in the U.S. but are they within 500 miles of her. I have a feeling if you put a distance limit on a manufactured product, you are going to be forced to take what ever you can find. The American kitchen cutlery industry is still mostly in the Northeast. That puts most of the country beyond the 500 mile limit.

In the post she said that if the product isn't available within the 500-mile limit, it could be sourced elsewhere in the US.

QUOTE: If not locally produced, I will attempt to source goods that are purchased directly from independent manufacturers ELSEWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES and in a THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED SUSTAINABLE WAY (i.e. Energy Star, Green Seal, etc…) END QUOTE.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson