Before and after

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  12.5 KB Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  10.8 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  11.3 KB
    Ok , it is nothing special .It was time to relieve some stress through sharpening and I decided to give my home kitchen knife (ikea slitbar ) little make over. First i have thinned , then I have polished it little bit (220 , 300 ,1000 ,6000 , j nat and syntethic 12k) It took me a 45 minutes total , it could have been perfect mirror finish but I ran out of time since I had to pick up my daughter from daycare. It was a good practice for my incoming Kato

Nice hands very shiny

Nice one!
    How is the edge retention on this one?

The mirror finish looks great man, great exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Nice one!
    How is the edge retention on this one?
    If I remember correctly these knives are below or up to 55 HRC. Very soft and the edge retention is nothing close to good. Putting a fine edge on these is not an option, probably only a knifesteel will get you some OOTB sharpness back.

Among the soft Germans it isn't the worst. Not that soft at all, IIRC. Poor grinding anyway. Above all, a crazy handle heavy balance because of all that steel incorporated into the handle. Popular among a general public that ask for a 'tough' knife but isn't prepared to pay for a Wüsthof or Goldhamster. Hideous design.

The Ikea Slitbar is cheap and maybe not so bad (i have never used one but seen them).
    I hear from some well informed sources that it is made from Takefu VG-10 that is purchased in Japan and assembled in China. The reason for not writing VG-10 on the side in all countries are trademark issues.

As such i would expect it to be higher than 55HRC as the steel certainly can take it.

Nice polish by the way!

I've sharpened them. No way it's VG-10. It seems to me, IIRC, our good old German X50 etc., hardened a little further than common. Expect some crazy carbides here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I've sharpened them. No way it's VG-10. It seems to me, IIRC, our good old German X50 etc., hardened a little further than common. Expect some crazy carbides here and there.
    (In the UK at least) there are two knives called "Slitbar" available at IKEA. One is monosteel, Cr/Mo/V type, very much as you describe. The other is a san-mai stainless "damascus" with a much harder core - which looks a lot like the construction of any number of Japanese OEM (or even Taiwanese (Zhen) blades). This is where the VG10 rumours come from. The san-mai knife is nearly 3 times the price.

The ones I've handled were mono-steel, indeed. Thanks for the clarification!

sounds like great practice

+ Reply to Thread