Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sharpening supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nell View Post
    I believe, Jon said in his video about the magic marker trick that you can use nail Polish remover to get the excess marker off; are there any other methods for getting it off?
    Shouldn't you be sharpening it off? Where is the excess coming from if you only painted the edge?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Yeah not just the edge that currently exists I get that but I've never painted more than will be removed. Sometimes there might be a little bit of ink higher up on accident but Not so much to where I need acetone or anything. It usually just wipes right off anyway.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

i color in more all of the time... it helps people see whats going on much more clearly

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nell View Post
    I believe, Jon said in his video about the magic marker trick that you can use nail Polish remover to get the excess marker off; are there any other methods for getting it off?
    I was using Windex on my DMT plates to sharpen.

It seems to remove Sharpie alllll on its own, lol.

Anyhow, since you're not using Windex with your stones, I wanted to let you know. Its a quick way to remove the excess Sharpie. Spray down, wipe, done.

I've never had a problem getting the ink from a sharpie off with just water.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Also Dave's video is very helpful. It really covers the wire edge that you tend to get with Japanese knives. I would suggest getting some cheaper knives and practicing a lot. Most everything but the worst mistakes can be fixed. I find what hinders people wanting to learn to sharpen the most is being scared to do it. So they let their knives get insanely dull. Just getting the knife to the stone will make you more confident. Don't get too frustrated if you don't have a razor your first few times. Just try to make the edge better then what you started with. It's kinda like riding a bike. One day you just sort of get it.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

If there is a female in your household there will be nail polish remover. Prob cotton balls as well. Polish remover is 2 bucks for a small bottle. Acetone is 2 bucks for a large bottle. Not sure of any other difference
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    If there is a female in your household there will be nail polish remover. Prob cotton balls as well. Polish remover is 2 bucks for a small bottle. Acetone is 2 bucks for a large bottle. Not sure of any other difference
    just to throw out something you may have laying around the house...good old fashioned lighter fluid for the Zippo type lighters was made with naphtha that works to get it off too.

I have a question about the drywall screen since that is more than likely what I will use right out of the gate.

Do you need to fix it to the flat surface (ie marble tile etc ) or can you just lay it on there?

If you do adhere or fix it what and how do you do that?