Quantcast
Sharpening supplies
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening supplies

Sharpening supplies

What do I need?

For my first sharpening setup, I want to get either the King #1000 or the King #1000&#6000 combo stone, but I don't know if I need anything else. So, what do I need aside from the stone?

Thanks,
    Julian
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

Many people get by with that selection just fine. It depends on what you are sharpening and what your goals are.

After reviewing my enitial post, I don't think I was clear enough. I am asking about things like stone fixes.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

Besides a stone you will need a flattening stone or diamond plate to keep your stone flat, a damp towel to keep your stone from moving when you are sharpening, and a container big enough to soak your stone in water ( unless it is a splash and go stone)

If you're on a budget, you can use the sidewalk...or drywall screen on a flat surface. The other side of the coin is a diamond plate. I myself use a cheapo Norton fixer.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

you can lap two stones together, or another way is to get some dry/wet sandpaper, stick on a piece of MDF / glass / whatever flat surface, and lap the stone on the sandpaper.

of course, the best way is to get a diamond plate, but it would cost more than the stone you are buying.

Drywall screen on a flat surface is the best cheap option - better than sandpaper since the mesh keeps it from overloading with mud. And unless you have really nice sidewalks, I'd advise against that too.

I'd recommend the King combo stone, because it won't be your last, and it'll give you a chance to try a higher grit finish.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

+1 to drywall sanding screen. I use it on a piece of 12"x12"x1/2" marble tile that I picked up a stone yard. I use large sheets - 8" x 10" or whatever they are at the hardware store. An advantage is that the surface is much much bigger than the stone so I think that's better for flattening. Some stone fixers I see are too small - not much bigger than sharpening stone, and it doesn't make sense to me that you could get an evenly flat surface. Keeping a stone flats also entails keeping it level from side to side and end to end.

I also recommend getting a stone holder. You can pick up one with two rods for around $15 if you shop around enough. Very handy to have.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Would someone mind posting a picture of there drywall sanding screen setup? I'm having a hard time trying to imagine it. Also, where should I buy it?