Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening supplies

I don't have photos of my setup, but you can visualize. On your work surface (counter, whatever) you place your flat thing (a big tile, whatever- mine is a piece of scrap acrylic). Then, you put your drywall screen on top of that. It's like sandpaper, but more mesh-like. Then, you rub your stone on top of the screen to flatten it out. It helps to draw a series of exes or hatches with a pencil all along the surface of the stone. When you've flattened enough that the marks are faint or gone, then you're done.

You can get drywall screen at a hardware store. My local big-box store (not sure if it was Lowes or Home Depot) just had smaller pieces designed to fit into some sort of holder, so that's what I'm using, but when I use up these, I'll pick up some 8" x 10" size pieces I saw recently at a better hardware store.

Okay, I think I have got it. Does it matter what brand it is? or are they all pretty much the same?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

I have Full size Diamond plates but I never use them. I actually much prefer these little diamond files that they sell is a finish sanding Snow skis. Diaface Moonflex From eBay, Very inexpensive and they last for ever

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nell View Post
    Okay, I think I have got it. Does it matter what brand it is? or are they all pretty much the same?
    Any will do. I use Norton because it is available at my Home Depot. 3M is often recommended as well. I find the drywall screen to work very well for on budget solution. Never the less coarse diamond plate looks to be more convenient but comes at premium cost as well. I am still saving

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I have Full size Diamond plates but I never use them. I actually much prefer these little diamond files that they sell is a finish sanding Snow skis. Diaface Moonflex From eBay, Very inexpensive and they last for ever
    If it is an atoma 140, would you like to off load?

So, I got the stone yesterday and wanted some conformation on the process.
    Soak the stone for 15 minutes,
    Place it where ever I will sharpen, with access to water,
    Make sure the stone stays wet throughout the sharpening process,
    Figure out my angles,
    Keep the knife at a 45ish degree angle,
    And I will sharpen in sections keeping my fingers in the middle of the stone.

Is there anything else I need to do?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

Don't focus so much on an angle of the knife to the stone. You may need to change the angle of the knife to the stone depending on what part of the knife you're sharpening. Watch videos of Jon Broida and Murray Carter. They both change the angle of the knife to the stone depending on what and where they're sharpening. Figure out what's comfortable and works for you. Then practice, again and again.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I have watched all of the videos in Jon's sharpening playlist, I haven't watched any of Murray's videos though.

+1 practice! Also check your work frequently
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Should I be following the bevel already on it, it looks to be about 70/30, or focus on getting the correct angles by myself?