Quantcast
Sharpening supplies - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nell View Post
    Should I be following the bevel already on it, it looks to be about 70/30, or focus on getting the correct angles by myself?
    Again, don't focus on "angles" or numbers. I don't know where people get this stuck in their heads, but angles are not the guiding rule for knives. The knife should guide the type of angle that you use.

The actual angle of the bevel will differ based on the area you sharpen, e.g., the tip is thinner than the heel, so the angle that you're holding your knife at will differ from the heel vs. the tip to get the same bevel angle and bevel size. So, since you're just starting, I would use the magic marker/Sharpie trick, and focus on the existing bevels.

(I'm not intentionally regurgitating what Jon wrote because I didn't see that he posted before I did. But, Jon explained this to me and it was an important starting point because I had basically had to unlearn some serious misconceptions and incorrect practices about sharpening first before starting to sharpen again using better practices.)
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Sounds good. Now all I have to do is work up the courage to start.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

I believe, Jon said in his video about the magic marker trick that you can use nail Polish remover to get the excess marker off; are there any other methods for getting it off?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

Sounds good. Now all I have to do is work up the courage to start.
    One last thing. Use light pressure since you're worried about making a mistake. A mistake using light pressure will be a much smaller mistake than one using a lot of pressure.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Okay. I don't have a magic marker or acetone right now, so I might try it without until I get those two things.

I believe, Jon said in his video about the magic marker trick that you can use nail Polish remover to get the excess marker off; are there any other methods for getting it off?
    Goo Gone works also, and doesn't evaporate as quickly.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

If the bevel is big enough to see then it is likely big enough to feel on the stones. You should be able to see what part of the edge you are hitting because it will be shiny. As said above, go slow and use light pressure and it will be fine
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Since magic markers are mostly alcohol-based, you can use Vodka or even classical man's aftershave lotion - as long as it contains enough alcohol - just depends what kind of smell you want to end up with