Quantcast
hattori kd gyuto on ebay - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hattori kd gyuto on ebay

theres kd petty too.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    Seems ridiculously overpriced even for a KD, the list price in japan (and i am told one can get them in Japan if one waits or is lucky) is about 2300 new -
    In a capitalistic market, there is never anything overpriced. Only more than you're willing to pay.
    Jason

Starting price is 2500, no??

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Unless someone can prove to me that Hattori's KD doesn't chip like every other HRC66 steel I've ever used, I couldn't imaging ponying up that much.
    What knives have you used at HRC66 out of curiosity?

-Chuck

Miyabi 7000MC
    Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka no Hoto

I doubt the existence of a magic heat treatment that can avoid the brittle chipping of a HRC66 blade. It's just fine for a yanagiba or sujihiki that's not designed to pound on the cutting board.

Is the KD actually hardened to 66? JCK is vague about the numbers.

I'd personally have a hard time comparing a miyabi to a KD... I think everything about those 2 knives are completely different. I have owned 2 knives (to my knowledge) that were 64+ and have not had chipping issues with either knife.. Just saying. I know KD's were very popular several years ago when they were more easily accessible. I hadn't heard of any chipping issues back then.

-Chuck

My chipping knives were pushed to their limit when it comes to thin bevels. These would have just rolled a little on my other knives. But that's the magic of a hard steel -- the sharp steep angles they take. They do just fine when a thicker secondary bevel is placed. In a general sense, the only big functional benefit I see with uber-hard steel is that you don't have to sharpen them for over a year if used in a home kitchen. And since most KKF members are adept at sharpening, this is not a big enough issue. When I had less experience with J-knives, I blindly went for the harder steels. Now I know better. 60-62 is my personal sweet spot.