hattori kd gyuto on ebay

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I understand the cult status of the KDs, these days I would much more prefer to support the vendors here, most of which can produce a similar quality as far as I understand. Not that I am in a position to even think about buying knives in that price range... But I am sure there is a market for it.

Stefan

I guess that it refers to the same 210mm gyuto that already was in e*ay a couple of days ago, the listing expired without a single bid. Start was 2,000 with PIN-option for 3,000

Seems ridiculously overpriced even for a KD, the list price in japan (and i am told one can get them in Japan if one waits or is lucky) is about 2300 new -

You say those cost 2,300 new so i don't see why the starting bid of 2,000 is "overprized". If you end up being the only one who bids you get it cheaper than new, no?

The 210 that was listed with a starting bid of $2000 sold for $2000 a few days ago.

Are these really THAT epic? Has anyone firsthand exp?

Man I really want it!
But I could have so many more awesomer knives for that.

Unless someone can prove to me that Hattori's KD doesn't chip like every other HRC66 steel I've ever used, I couldn't imaging ponying up that much.

Unless someone can prove to me that Hattori's KD doesn't chip like every other HRC66 steel I've ever used, I couldn't imaging ponying up that much.

What knives have you used at HRC66 out of curiosity?

-Chuck

Miyabi 7000MC
Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka no Hoto

I doubt the existence of a magic heat treatment that can avoid the brittle chipping of a HRC66 blade. It's just fine for a yanagiba or sujihiki that's not designed to pound on the cutting board.

I'd personally have a hard time comparing a miyabi to a KD... I think everything about those 2 knives are completely different. I have owned 2 knives (to my knowledge) that were 64+ and have not had chipping issues with either knife.. Just saying. I know KD's were very popular several years ago when they were more easily accessible. I hadn't heard of any chipping issues back then.

-Chuck

My chipping knives were pushed to their limit when it comes to thin bevels. These would have just rolled a little on my other knives. But that's the magic of a hard steel -- the sharp steep angles they take. They do just fine when a thicker secondary bevel is placed. In a general sense, the only big functional benefit I see with uber-hard steel is that you don't have to sharpen them for over a year if used in a home kitchen. And since most KKF members are adept at sharpening, this is not a big enough issue. When I had less experience with J-knives, I blindly went for the harder steels. Now I know better. 60-62 is my personal sweet spot.

Back