Pasta sauce storage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
For those who make their own pasta sauce, be it marinara, alfredo, pesto, etc - how do you store the sauce for extended periods of time? Extended meaning 2-3 months. Do you freeze them?

We can the cooked tomatoes, and they keep for many years, but once we make the actual tomato sauce we freeze it. We also freeze pesto; it freezes pretty well. Alfredo not so much -- it tends to not reheat well (separates easily); best to just make it as needed. Pesto can separate as well when reheated, so make sure it does not boil.

I can them (technically jarring) with mason jars. Takes a bit to explain the details, but there is plenty on the subject on YouTube. I also use it for my homemade hot sauce.

I freeze pesto without cheese. Leave a thin layer of oil on surface. Marinara freezes fine. Make Alfredo when you need it

How long is canned/jarred sauce good for if stored in the fridge?

Depends on how you do it as well as what you are using as a preservative.

For me, i think vaccum packing and then freezing would be one of the best options. However why would you want to store for a period of time?

AGP, The most convient and easiest way to store/freeze liquids is to:

1.) Pour a measured amount into a Quart Zip lock Bag (must be Zip Lock), seal with as little trapped air in bag as possible. i use a chamber Vac, but I've had great success just carefully hand-ziping Zip locks for storage.
2.) Seal and arrange the bags flat on a baking sheet. Six to a layer but I wouldn't exceed three layer per baking sheet. Put in Freezer.
3.) When frozen, stack vertically like books on a shelf. Its really handy to use too with all your liquids in the same size bag, in the same area, frozen the same way.

Haven't found anything better.

I do stocks, sauces, graveys, reductions, soups that way. Can preserve in freezer for many months. Its a great way to use as little freezer space as possible.

MRMNS makes a great point about using olive oil to seal out the air. It also works as a free radical scavenger (anti-oxident)

If you grow your own vegetables then finding a way to store them for long periods of time is important.

Seems like freezing is the most convenient way to go. Is there any advantage to freezing in a ziplock bag vs. in a mason jar? Or any jar?

Jar can break due to expansion of liquid when frozen. Ziploc or other not "shatterable" container preferred.

Properly canned in Mason jars, they do not need to be refrigerated or frozen. One of the reasons I can is so I can allow more space in the freezer for items that need to be frozen. Have 3 fridges with freezers full and one almost full deep freeze. Being an outdoorsman, I usually keep them stocked with meat and fish.

I know my freezer is very full of barriers and rhubarb and it is time to harvest basil for this summer pesto batch. i really need to buy a newdeep freezer !!

I freeze, too -- and now that I've got a deep freeze in the garage, I'll probably have it full within a few months....

Marinara keeps for a very long time. I also freeze blanched tomatoes and basil, but those start to get a bit mushy after six months or so. I don't freeze any sorts of cream sauces, though -- they'd likely break, and I consider those to be pan sauces that you build while cooking. No incentive to make in bulk, and lots of downsides.

Back