Quantcast
White Queso Dip Recipe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Queso Dip Recipe

White Queso Dip Recipe

Every time I have attempted making white queso dip it has turned out badly. It is either a taste that is nowhere near what I want or a strange consistency with an incorrect taste.
    I don't know what I am doing wrong. It could be the cheese, it could be the way I go about making it, or it could be that white queso dip is made in a secret lab where they make it and don't tell you how to replicate it.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Julian
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    What cheese are you using? A lot of cheese changes when heated (if your going that way) and don't hold together like you would think
    Chewie's the man.

Off the top of my head, the only one I can remember was white American cheese. I can't remember the others, but they were probably something like a normal American cheese. I have followed a recipe each time and used the same cheese as the recipe.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Without seeing the recipe I really can't help you out. Most american cheese is made with oil and not much dairy, if any. Most problems I have seen it the cheese doesn't mix well with the liquid used (usually milk, creme, half and half). Good luck on the next one.
    Chewie's the man.

Found this on a comment to a Queso Blanco recipe complaint about texture. Hope it helps.

To avoid texture problems try adding about 2 - 3 tbl spoons of flour to the milk or cream, stir, then microwave, then stir some more until flour incorporates with no lumps. Add dry spices to milk mixture, stir, add shredded or small cubed cheese. Can use microwave for a minute or two at 50% power, just avoid boiling. Stir, add chopped serrano and chiles, repeat heat and stir until desired texture is achieved. Can sub corn starch for flour. Add more cheese or milk until you get what your looking for, experiment. I add a small amount of garlic powder, and generally leave out the cumin if I am trying to replicate the Mexican restaurant white cheese dip.

Reason: A starch is needed to coat the fat molecules in the mixture. The fat molecules are sticky and will re-combine with other fats to form clumps, coating the fat molecules with a small amount of starch prevents clumping.

Also note: Do not try and use the Mexican cheeses called Queso Blanco, Queso Fresco, or Panella. They are crumbling cheeses not melting cheeses.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Or just buy quality (potentially pricey) cheese.
    Jason

Maybe the problem I am having is that I don't use a microwave. I don't have a microwave in the house either. I will try using a melting cheese and some flour next time hopefully that will help.

Crothcipt,
    I looked for the last recipe I used but was unable to find it. The problem with it was that the cheese and the milk completely separated.

Although I'm not a fan of American cheese, I know there are big differences in quality . Don't skimp. Heat it gently to preserve the texture. Don't know the flavor you're looking for, but the ingredient lists are pretty small. Get a sample of one you like to compare and try to figure out what you're missing.

The cheese I was using was Trader Joe's brand, which probably isn't very good.

Monterrey Jack Cheese works well from what I read.

+ Reply to Thread