Which 240mm wa-gyuto in $200-$300 range? Flat-ish profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Wa gyuto 240mm

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
All around chef knife

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None but adding to Gesshin Ginga white #2 210mm

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cutting and slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I want something with a bit flatter profile than the Ginga. A little less belly.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No prefs.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Lightish

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Good food release would be great. Reactivity not an issue. Carbon preferred.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I can sharpen as needed

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood end block

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Looking for a longer friend for the Ginga with a flatter profile. Ease of sharpening a plus as I'm just learning to sharpen.

Thanks!

Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff Wa is pretty flat. Dead ringer for Masamoto HC profile I noticed, when I had em side by side.

I would put a Yoshikane on the list. Core steel is rust resistant but not carbon. Epicurean Edge carries it.

I just ordered a Konosuke 270mm Gyuto in HD2 but I think they are out of stock on their whites and blues for 240mm Gyutos.

Still new here, but think putting links to websites is frowned upon. You can google the name of the knives to find dealers that carry them. That goes for all the knives mentioned.

Awesome deal in b/s/t right now on a Watanabe gyuto with kiriksuke tip! Will be gone quick.

Too bad a Masamoto KS is slightly above your price range.

Still new here, but think putting links to websites is frowned upon. You can google the name of the knives to find dealers that carry them. That goes for all the knives mentioned.
You can link, just not to a certain site, do it all the time.

I'll check out the Sakai!

I was also condsidering the Kochi. Jon has it on order but not sure when he will receive.

I love my 210mm Ginga, but looking for something just a bit flatter.

Konosuke HD2 looks like a good option for you. Flattish profile, it's not carbon but semi-stainless it gets very sharp and feels good on the stone in addition to better rust resistance. It's light, considered to be a "laser". The downside of it lightness, it has some flex.

As for Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff, I have a petty from this line and I do not like their AEB-L. Mind you that may be my expectations were to high for a stainless steel.

Guess I am still too new. Can someone PM me the name of the NoNoNaughtywebsite so I know not to bring it up?

if you already own a gesshin ginga 210mm, i dont see the need to buy a konosuke 240mm. i would rather purchase a knife that would have different cutting characteristics, as those 2 knives are similar in regards to cutting.

You can't have too many lasers. :) They are such a pleasure to use in a home setting when stiction is less of an issue. Guests gasp when they cut through carrots. Konosuke (HH, HD), Sakai Yusuke, and Gesshin Ginga are all essentially the same in profile, grind, and performance. I haven't seen the flat profile Sakai Yusuke's available for sale for weeks. If you're right-handed, there's almost nothing that cuts thinner slices than these asymmetric lasers. They cut thinner than my usuba. Maybe it's my technique.

Itinomonn. It's not flat, but it's worth the trade off.

Back