• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Kato & Watanabe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainsausage

Reaction score
Full disclosure- I need some funds so I'm unloading some knives. These both need a little work to get back up to speed, but I've got way too much on my plate right now between other projects and opening a new restaurant. They've been used hard in a pro kitchen, and have some scratches from thinning and sharpening. These will be priced accordingly mind you.

Anyways, 240 blue paper Watanabe pro Gyuto-suke. Kind of. I say kind of because this is pretty asymmetrical. Not fully, and it ain't flat on the back, but its not as full as the front. Doesn't have the faceted sword tip, but has a very flat belly. I did a lot of work on the tip and its dangerous now. This is a great veg knife, and could easily double as a slicer/sashimi killer but needs some thinning if you're gonna use it for thicker product or a day to day prep machine. Takes a very quick and pretty patina. I put a quick finish on it, but nothing special. The handle is just friction right now, so if you wanna knock it off for polishing, or epoxy it on... Oh yeah- Marko made the handle and saya. They're both fecking beautiful. Paid just under 6 for this, asking $375 all in. International pays shipping. It's practically worth it for the handle and saya alone.

Next is a 240 Kato gyuto. Also could use some thinning. And also got a quick finish. I was thinking about sending this off to Jon for the once over, but money and all that. I thinned the tip some, and thinned the blade awhile back, but could use another session. Slightly assymetrical edge, but easy enough to bring back to 50/50. Handle is literally perfect for this knife. Asking $350 all in, international pays shipping. iPhone pics- bear with me :p image.jpgk2.jpgk3.jpgk4.jpgk5.jpgk6.jpgk7.jpgk8.jpgk9.jpgk10.jpg

Man I want that Watanabe.... If for some ridiculous reason it's still here on Friday... Well....

Good luck with the sales killer deals & good luck opening up the new place

Looks awesome. If I had not just ordered another knife the other day I would be on it.

Ah man, I'd love to buy that Kato, but with my wife out of work...

and awesome with the new restaurant! if it's as good as Local 188, well, i know you'll find success!

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, pretty freaked out but also quite excited abou the new place! Btw- Kato is sold! Thank you Don, and thanks also KKF.

Oh, btw- Labor, you do realize that I work in a kitchen, right?

Cheers,

- Josh

Watanabe sold! Thanks Mike and thanks again to everyone for the the positive thoughts. We're opening on 8/31, hard to believe, been a long road.

Cheers,

- Josh

what's the new restaurant called? pm me if such things arent to be stated publicly. boston is in the midst of a new restaurant frenzy

what's the new restaurant called? pm me if such things arent to be stated publicly. boston is in the midst of a new restaurant frenzy

I'm not receiving notifications lately, or proper PM's, don't know what the deal is, sorry I missed this. The new place is called Salvage BBQ(the name is a long story). Saturday is the party for friends and family. Sunday is the shite show grand opening. I'm gonna try to find the time to post some pics soon here. Although I have so many other things to post and deal with might be a bit. Still need to try and get that damn charcuterie thread off the ground. Not enough time!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!!

I'm not receiving notifications lately, or proper PM's, don't know what the deal is, sorry I missed this. The new place is called Salvage BBQ(the name is a long story). Saturday is the party for friends and family. Sunday is the shite show grand opening. I'm gonna try to find the time to post some pics soon here. Although I have so many other things to post and deal with might be a bit. Still need to try and get that damn charcuterie thread off the ground. Not enough time!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!!

wish i could be there.

Yep, sounds like someone that works in a restaurant.

Amen brother... I wake up every other hour(out of the 4-5 I might see in a night) thinking I've forgotten to order or prep another 200# of protein, and keep mixing up who's working which restaurant and what I need them to prep... Sleep isn't my best friend lately.

Wish you could too Jacob. You should spend some time up here when you get a break from school. Easier said than done, I know. But still;)

both my wife and I would love to! Unfortunately, break from school means both as a student and a staff member, and it's tough. :-\ I do have nearly 500 hours of vacation accrued, however, and soon I'll start to have to take it in week long blocks. Maybe one of those blocks will be when I have money. :)

both my wife and I would love to! Unfortunately, break from school means both as a student and a staff member, and it's tough. :-\ I do have nearly 500 hours of vacation accrued, however, and soon I'll start to have to take it in week long blocks. Maybe one of those blocks will be when I have money. :)

Cheers to that! Be sure to give me a shout if you do head up this way. You won't want for smoked meats!

congrats on the sale, i'd like to point out that the watanabe pro blue steel is something special!! i hope that you treat yourself to another wat down the road.

i was lucky enough to get a quick viewing of savage bbq prior to its opening, saw the custom smoke machine and there were short ribs (what!? heck yeah!!) getting happy inside which definitely caught my attention, very excited to eat there when i visit again. culinary scene in portland (maine) is booming for sure.

ps, enjoyed the hell out of local 188, that scallop appetizer, just mmmmmmmMMMmmmMMmm.

Good luck with the opening. I've done it three times now and unless you do it its hard to understand everything that goes in. Hope all goes well.

Back