Quantcast
To Binsui or not to Binsui
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To Binsui or not to Binsui

To Binsui or not to Binsui

here's the story, Have been using my G 1K ex lg stone from Jon for a couple of months now. It's clearly a favorite, But { for me }
    it seems to be TOO soft , love the mud, but it dishes way fast. Have had to stop & diamond plate it in the middle of a knife.

Was watching Maxim's demo of his huge & super Huge Binsui's, Saw that the swarf , while black seemed to be more water than mud.
    which i figured , that it was much harder than the Gesshin.

Bottom line, do I buy the Binsui , to be my work horse. & use the Gesshin for light touch -up work.

I've been looking at this as a middle grit stone. Probably will be my next buy. I don't have any Japanese naturals and would like to give it a try. I've been curious as to why they come in such large sizes? do they wear away quickly?

I have a "huge" binsui from Maxim and I really like the stone. It might be my favorite coarse jnat. I need to use it with a nagura though, as it's a bit of a workout to get some slurry going if you're using just a knife. My binsui is very slow wearing and there's virtually no dishing after sharpening a handful of knives. It leaves a very nice kasumi finish on my single bevel knives and the scratch pattern seems finer than my 1200 grit stones.

Thank you, finally a straight forward answer! as previously stated , I was really excited to get the jumbo gesshin, and was hoping to use it as my primary work horse to thin knives.
    but it virtually dissolves before your eyes when I lean into a knife. I have a short attention span, a long session with any one stone is only about 10 minutes. and I'd have break out the
    Dia-flat to grind away the grooves.

Sponsors
    for thinning, i'd look at even coarser stones... binsui is a medium grit stone

Oh yeah. FWIW, I had been using Jon's Gesshin 600 to flatten and even out the bevel on a yanagi and that was slow going. This week I started using Maxim's JNS 300, and that's still not going particularly fast... I wouldn't even think of doing this work on the Binsui.

Quote Originally Posted by DSChief View Post
    but it virtually dissolves before your eyes when I lean into a knife
    Just curious why you are 'leaning into it?'
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Just curious why you are 'leaning into it?'
    That MAY have been a tad dramatic! Think moderate to firm as opposed to a very light finger touch that I use with my Naniwa Snow White & the KIT for the final mirror work

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    for thinning, i'd look at even coarser stones... binsui is a medium grit stone
    How about Chosera 400 or 600: or should I think coarser

+ Reply to Thread