To Binsui or not to Binsui

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSChief

Reaction score
here's the story, Have been using my G 1K ex lg stone from Jon for a couple of months now. It's clearly a favorite, But { for me }
it seems to be TOO soft , love the mud, but it dishes way fast. Have had to stop & diamond plate it in the middle of a knife.

Was watching Maxim's demo of his huge & super Huge Binsui's, Saw that the swarf , while black seemed to be more water than mud.
which i figured , that it was much harder than the Gesshin.

Bottom line, do I buy the Binsui , to be my work horse. & use the Gesshin for light touch -up work.

I've been looking at this as a middle grit stone. Probably will be my next buy. I don't have any Japanese naturals and would like to give it a try. I've been curious as to why they come in such large sizes? do they wear away quickly?

I have a "huge" binsui from Maxim and I really like the stone. It might be my favorite coarse jnat. I need to use it with a nagura though, as it's a bit of a workout to get some slurry going if you're using just a knife. My binsui is very slow wearing and there's virtually no dishing after sharpening a handful of knives. It leaves a very nice kasumi finish on my single bevel knives and the scratch pattern seems finer than my 1200 grit stones.

Thank you, finally a straight forward answer! as previously stated , I was really excited to get the jumbo gesshin, and was hoping to use it as my primary work horse to thin knives.
but it virtually dissolves before your eyes when I lean into a knife. I have a short attention span, a long session with any one stone is only about 10 minutes. and I'd have break out the
Dia-flat to grind away the grooves.

Oh yeah. FWIW, I had been using Jon's Gesshin 600 to flatten and even out the bevel on a yanagi and that was slow going. This week I started using Maxim's JNS 300, and that's still not going particularly fast... I wouldn't even think of doing this work on the Binsui.

Back