Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gesshin Uraku, what's the steel?

Gesshin Uraku, what's the steel?

So I recently bought a new gesshin uraku gyuto, definitely become my workhorse in the kitchen I work in, it sharpens pretty easily and stays sharp for quite a while. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and I was wondering if anyone knew the steel type and hardness number? The JKI website isn't super explicit with the specs.

From what I read on the website they offer his work in 3 metals. Stainless, SKD 11, and White #2. It depends on which one you got. Grats on your new knife btw.

I dont think the type of steel is common knowledge. If i were to make a guess, id probably say AUS-10, as he mentioned the Gonbei AUS-10 series is supposed to be a western equivalent to the Gesshin Uraku series.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
    From what I read on the website they offer his work in 3 metals. Stainless, SKD 11, and White #2. It depends on which one you got. Grats on your new knife btw.
    ???

Yoshihiro definitely offer more steel types than that, although I have never seen a knife explicitly stated as SKD11 knife from them.

I believe the knife is a molybdenum stainless at around RC60. Far more importantly however, is that it's good stuff.

It's the stainless 240mm wa-gyuto, if that helps determine the steel type

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    ???

Yoshihiro definitely offer more steel types than that, although I have never seen a knife explicitly stated as SKD11 knife from them.

I believe the knife is a molybdenum stainless at around RC60. Far more importantly however, is that it's good stuff.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/gesshin-1/gesshin-uraku/gesshin-uraku-165mm-skdsantoku.html

There are only 3 metals listed on his product line available for purchase here, but I do not doubt as an accomplished blacksmith that he does not use other metals.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I know my nikari I have on pass a round is skd steel. John didn't have a # with it that I remember.
    Chewie's the man.

Gesshin Uraku is a brand name... not a blacksmiths name. Similar to shigefusa, yoshihiro, sakaki takayuki, kikuichi, and more. We have hand picked the kinds of things we want in our line, along with the kind of fit and finish we want and so on. As far as the steels go, i share info about them when it helps better understand the product. When it gets in the way, i dont talk about it. As was mentioned above, i do compare our gonbei aus-10 to our gesshin uraku stainess... they are very similar feeling and performing... but that doesnt mean they are the same steel. And our gesshin uraku stainless series are ~60hrc.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I know my nikari I have on pass a round is skd steel. John didn't have a # with it that I remember.
    My mistake, I had forgotten about the sanmai SKD nakiri/santoku

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    Gesshin Uraku is a brand name... not a blacksmiths name. Similar to shigefusa, yoshihiro, sakaki takayuki, kikuichi, and more.
    Was referring to Yoshihiro. I am fairly new but have been very interested for awhile and kinda studying lol. Thanks for the info though. It shed a lot of light on the question.