Quantcast
Gesshin Uraku, what's the steel? - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gesshin Uraku, what's the steel?

ive handled some real mediocre aeb-l knives. not just the poorly made sub $100 ones, but a few over $300 i was also dissappointed with. Pdksays, so the uraku sharpens easy and holds an edge well? good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    I was thinking in terms of " meant for the select few" . I try not to miss a chance to learn. Which is why I question those who seem to want to keep insider info to themselves. Shrug
    I'm not sure that that's the case here. but if you are interested in learning, more questions may be more conducive to learning, rather than making snarky comments...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'm not sure that that's the case here. but if you are interested in learning, more questions may be more conducive to learning, rather than making snarky comments...
    You mean like the one above? LOL

not revealing the steel type really shouldnt be seen as a disservice here. i kinda wish all makers stopped revealing steel types, that away we(myself included) would stop getting hung up on them. i feel like like we often prejudge a knifes performance based on its steel. and we shouldnt.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    not revealing the steel type really shouldnt be seen as a disservice here. i kinda wish all makers stopped revealing steel types, that away we(myself included) would stop getting hung up on them. i feel like like we often prejudge a knifes performance based on its steel. and we shouldnt.
    And we should buy the knives via infomercials.... You can not possible test drive all the knifes buy. The more information available the better - Ignorance is not a cure of prejudice.

ignorance? not so much, the unimportant information is more and more often being touted as prevalent. i have no idea what steel is in shigafusa, kato, misono swedish, gesshin ginga and others i have purchased,i dont see the need to know. i dont want the bias that sometimes comes with steel stypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    And we should buy the knives via infomercials.... You can not possible test drive all the knifes buy. The more information available the better - Ignorance is not a cure of prejudice.
    I disagree, the first J-knife I ever bought was White 2 and it sucked. Sorry ht, even more sorry grind and not impressive in the any way. One of the last knives I bought was White 2 and I love it. Had I judged by steel, I wouldn't have bought the second knife. In this case the ignorant thing to do would have been to judge the knife by it's steel...

As an aside, it really is worth looking at AEB-L on Gator's site; as Jon mentioned it is not impressive when compared to many other steels used around these parts.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    You mean like the one above? LOL
    That's not snark. Just an observation. Doesnt mean I'm right or vice versa.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    That's not snark. Just an observation. Doesnt mean I'm right or vice versa.
    I'm cool with that.

Maybe too simplistic,but once trained I can raise a burr heal to tip on first pass wt. the Uraku to me that is a sign of good stainless.I sharpen alot of cheap stainless deff. harder to sharpen & dull easy compared to the Uraku.For the coin I think it is a solid buy.