Japanese Knives Gesshin Uraku, what's the steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdksays

Reaction score
So I recently bought a new gesshin uraku gyuto, definitely become my workhorse in the kitchen I work in, it sharpens pretty easily and stays sharp for quite a while. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and I was wondering if anyone knew the steel type and hardness number? The JKI website isn't super explicit with the specs.

From what I read on the website they offer his work in 3 metals. Stainless, SKD 11, and White #2. It depends on which one you got. Grats on your new knife btw.

I dont think the type of steel is common knowledge. If i were to make a guess, id probably say AUS-10, as he mentioned the Gonbei AUS-10 series is supposed to be a western equivalent to the Gesshin Uraku series.

From what I read on the website they offer his work in 3 metals. Stainless, SKD 11, and White #2. It depends on which one you got. Grats on your new knife btw.

???

Yoshihiro definitely offer more steel types than that, although I have never seen a knife explicitly stated as SKD11 knife from them.

I believe the knife is a molybdenum stainless at around RC60. Far more importantly however, is that it's good stuff.

It's the stainless 240mm wa-gyuto, if that helps determine the steel type

???

Yoshihiro definitely offer more steel types than that, although I have never seen a knife explicitly stated as SKD11 knife from them.

I believe the knife is a molybdenum stainless at around RC60. Far more importantly however, is that it's good stuff.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/gesshin-1/gesshin-uraku/gesshin-uraku-165mm-skdsantoku.html

There are only 3 metals listed on his product line available for purchase here, but I do not doubt as an accomplished blacksmith that he does not use other metals.

I know my nikari I have on pass a round is skd steel. John didn't have a # with it that I remember.

Gesshin Uraku is a brand name... not a blacksmiths name. Similar to shigefusa, yoshihiro, sakaki takayuki, kikuichi, and more. We have hand picked the kinds of things we want in our line, along with the kind of fit and finish we want and so on. As far as the steels go, i share info about them when it helps better understand the product. When it gets in the way, i dont talk about it. As was mentioned above, i do compare our gonbei aus-10 to our gesshin uraku stainess... they are very similar feeling and performing... but that doesnt mean they are the same steel. And our gesshin uraku stainless series are ~60hrc.

Gesshin Uraku is a brand name... not a blacksmiths name. Similar to shigefusa, yoshihiro, sakaki takayuki, kikuichi, and more.

Was referring to Yoshihiro. I am fairly new but have been very interested for awhile and kinda studying lol. Thanks for the info though. It shed a lot of light on the question.

Steel type only matters in that you can't make a great knife out of a tin can. Jon sells it, therefore the steel performs.

As far as the steels go, i share info about them when it helps better understand the product. When it gets in the way, i dont talk about it. As was mentioned above,

How exactly, would knowing more about the steel in a knife you paid for, "get in the way?" In the way of what?

How exactly, would knowing more about the steel in a knife you paid for, "get in the way?"

Consider it kinda like a trade secret. Giving out too much info allows for people to attempt to reproduce it and compete with you. At least it makes sense to me. Have certain clearance levels at certain sites that I work at due to trade secret issues.

How exactly, would knowing more about the steel in a knife you paid for, "get in the way?" In the way of what?

When it's more about the heat treatment and not the grade of steel.

Hoss

or when just the info about the steel doesnt really speak to the particular qualities of a steel/heat treat combo. This is why i try to talk to people about the qualitative properties of these knives more than just steel type and hrc. When people become too obsessed with just steel type and hrc, it gets in the way of understanding what the knife is all about.

Devin's made a great point here... consider this. No one really talked about aeb-l before larrin and devin started on it. All of the sudden, everyone and their mother is using aeb-l saying how its such a great steel, and the ht is always great. The truth is that aeb-l is not such a special steel. Its a relatively simple, not crazy high carbon steel that can take on a wide variety of properties depending on how it is forged, ht, and ground. What devin does is different from others, but because he does a great job, aeb-l now has quite a few fans. I've tried quite a few recent aeb-l knives... some just flat out suck, while others are ok, and even fewer are good (there are even fewer that i think are great). Just knowing a knife is aeb-l will not help you understand more about the knife. Using the knife and seeing how it sharpens, holds up, the kind of edge it takes, etc., will tell you more than almost anything else you can do.

I dont always share steel types because i'd rather have a discussion about how a particular line sharpens, holds up, responds to certain tasks, etc. Its also my excuse to make sure i've used as many different things as possible (and all of the things we sell).

The heat treatment of any steel can affect the way a steel or knife performs. A heat treatment should be geared to the type of knife that is made or manufactured. The steel grade is only the beginning. Wasn't trying to offend anyone.

Hoss

Usually it's secret when the steel type is considered to be mediocre or not cool ATM like AUS-8 type. AUS-8 is considered to be a mediocre stainless steel by knife enthusiasts/nuts and if you google it, you will find ppl recommending other alternatives.
I can understand that this information can scare the customer and he will miss on a great knife and the vendor on a sale.
Having this in consideration, it does not matter a lot if you buy from respectable vendor, like Jon for example and you ask all the right questions. In case I buy from an unknown/shady vendor this is something I would like to know. And most likely I will let the opportunity pass if such info is not available.

P.S. Note, I said usually in the beginning. That means often but not all the time ;)

By esoteric, do you mean 'lack of understanding'? There should be no judgement if in that is the case. Just another chance to learn...

I was thinking in terms of " meant for the select few" . I try not to miss a chance to learn. Which is why I question those who seem to want to keep insider info to themselves. Shrug

ive handled some real mediocre aeb-l knives. not just the poorly made sub $100 ones, but a few over $300 i was also dissappointed with. Pdksays, so the uraku sharpens easy and holds an edge well? good to know.

I was thinking in terms of " meant for the select few" . I try not to miss a chance to learn. Which is why I question those who seem to want to keep insider info to themselves. Shrug

I'm not sure that that's the case here. but if you are interested in learning, more questions may be more conducive to learning, rather than making snarky comments...

not revealing the steel type really shouldnt be seen as a disservice here. i kinda wish all makers stopped revealing steel types, that away we(myself included) would stop getting hung up on them. i feel like like we often prejudge a knifes performance based on its steel. and we shouldnt.

not revealing the steel type really shouldnt be seen as a disservice here. i kinda wish all makers stopped revealing steel types, that away we(myself included) would stop getting hung up on them. i feel like like we often prejudge a knifes performance based on its steel. and we shouldnt.

And we should buy the knives via infomercials.... You can not possible test drive all the knifes buy. The more information available the better - Ignorance is not a cure of prejudice.

ignorance? not so much, the unimportant information is more and more often being touted as prevalent. i have no idea what steel is in shigafusa, kato, misono swedish, gesshin ginga and others i have purchased,i dont see the need to know. i dont want the bias that sometimes comes with steel stypes.

And we should buy the knives via infomercials.... You can not possible test drive all the knifes buy. The more information available the better - Ignorance is not a cure of prejudice.

I disagree, the first J-knife I ever bought was White 2 and it sucked. Sorry ht, even more sorry grind and not impressive in the any way. One of the last knives I bought was White 2 and I love it. Had I judged by steel, I wouldn't have bought the second knife. In this case the ignorant thing to do would have been to judge the knife by it's steel...

As an aside, it really is worth looking at AEB-L on Gator's site; as Jon mentioned it is not impressive when compared to many other steels used around these parts.

Maybe too simplistic,but once trained I can raise a burr heal to tip on first pass wt. the Uraku to me that is a sign of good stainless.I sharpen alot of cheap stainless deff. harder to sharpen & dull easy compared to the Uraku.For the coin I think it is a solid buy.

Latest posts

Back