Quantcast
Softer 500-1k to precede the Rika - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Softer 500-1k to precede the Rika

The Sigma soft is a steel-eating monster!! Probably way over my pay-grade as I raise a massive burr simply by waving steel in its general vicinity. I'm not qualified to use this vicious bastard and probably shouldn't even be legal for me to own one!! Not for the faint-hearted. Anyone else own this stone? I've never seen anyone else mention it, I don't think.

Here is Stu's blurb from TFJ:

Sigma Power ceramic stones are not easily found outside Japan, but that does not mean they do not have an enviable reputation around the world for being something 'above average'.

Designed for sharpening blades of greater tenacity than standard carbon-steel alloys, they remove metal rapidly while staying exceptionally flat and dish free. As such, they also work exceptionally well on plain steel alloys.

This #1000 grit stone measures 200x75x25mm and is known as a 'soft' type and is intended for those sharpeners who prefer to 'play in the mud'.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    On what steel and what type of knives?
    I've used the jns 800 on a wide variety of steels and knives. It's fast, and gives pretty good feedback for a stone that isn't very soft.

It really kicks ass with carbon single bevels, partly because of the very even finish. Finish-wise, you could think of it as a harder, faster king 800. That said, I think that the edge quality that it leaves is a bit more refined.

Also, the thirstiest stone I've come across - great case for permasoaking this one.

Sorry for getting off-topic OP.

I use a JNS1000 and am very happy with it. Builds up mud nice and doesn't dish a lot. Stainless clogs it up quickly but it cleans up quickly and will go to town again. I follow it with a Rika 5000 usually depending on the knife or an Ohira Range Suita.

I use beston 500, 1200 and then the Rika

Thanks everyone who mentioned the JNS 800 (not off topic at all). I had to look that one up, it's been a while since I've been on the boards. Looks promising, and I should clarify that I don't expect an 800 stone to be that soft, just relatively soft for its grit and make a decent mud - could anyone tell me more about its muddiness?

dmccurtis, I'm pretty sure that's not an Arashiyama, which is a neutral dark grey, not greenish at all. Sounds like you have something interesting.

Seb, one of the old timers like me who can remember the Sigma Power craze of the late 00's I always wanted to try the soft version since the hard one I had removed steel like a crazy mofo. Does it load easily? I remember my 1k hard type loading a lot, but that was my first stone, and I realized later that I might not have completely lapped off the hard crusty top layer. Plus, I used it to flatten an A-type petty, so all in all, probably not a fair memory for how much it loads.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    Thanks everyone who mentioned the JNS 800 (not off topic at all). I had to look that one up, it's been a while since I've been on the boards. Looks promising, and I should clarify that I don't expect an 800 stone to be that soft, just relatively soft for its grit and make a decent mud - could anyone tell me more about its muddiness?

dmccurtis, I'm pretty sure that's not an Arashiyama, which is a neutral dark grey, not greenish at all. Sounds like you have something interesting.
    I'm pretty sure you're right. I've always called it an Arashiyama in my head because I couldn't match it to any other stone, but I've always been suspicious, since the size and colour have never matched. Whatever it is, it's my go-to 1000 for single- and broad-bevel knives. It's not as fast as the Chosera 1000 I use for double bevels, but it leaves an even finish that's easier to transition to aoto and further naturals. It wears relatively slowly, but it is a muddy stone, so some dishing comes with the territory. It can be used just splashed, but water retention improves with about a five minute soak. I soaked it overnight once, and it developed some small cracks. Unfortunately, I bought it a long time ago on eBay, so unless I can figure out how to order from that site, I don't know how I would replace it. I have a suspicion that this is the same stone, though: http://www.amazon.com/Gingatrading-Z.../dp/B00B1VEL9I. Either way, I think I'm going to try Maxim's 800 next, so I look forward to some more opinions on that stone. It sounds like a winner.

+ Reply to Thread