Quantcast
Softer 500-1k to precede the Rika
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softer 500-1k to precede the Rika

Softer 500-1k to precede the Rika

I love the Rika! It's my absolute favorite stone in terms of sharpening feel, soft but not too soft, muddy but not too muddy... I've had a few 1k, but never been happy with them. Any recommendations for one similar stone to precede the Rika? Could be between 500 and 1k, the feel of the stone is more important than anything else. My only thought was maybe a Sigma Power 1k soft type?

What 1Ks have you tried?

I'm liking the Arashiyama 1000 right now. It's like a King 1200, but faster and silkier. I've heard good things about Maxim's 800, too. I think I'll be trying it next.

Arashiyama 1k, I don't remember it being 'silky' per se. IIRC it raises a bit of gritty mud, but not as much as a King 1k, which is actually my current stone because it's the closest to what I want. But it's still not as muddy as I'd like and of course it's slow. Sigma Power 1k hard type was too hard for me. Red Brick 1k, seemed very similar to the Arashiyama 1k, not quite as muddy as the King, more gritty feeling. Not 1k, but for reference I also had a Naniwa SS 2k - it loaded so quickly it was useless. And a synth blue Aoto, which was too soft and muddy. I'm basically Goldilocks

Have you tried any of the Gesshin stones? Not the muddiest stones but feel very nice. My experience is limited to the splash and go stones of which I have a 600 and 5k. The 600 cuts quickly but feels smoother than it's grit rating...more like 1k'ish.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    I've heard good things about Maxim's 800, too. I think I'll be trying it next.
    The jns 800 is a great stone, but it's not very soft. It leaves a fantastic and very even misty finish.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    Arashiyama 1k, I don't remember it being 'silky' per se. IIRC it raises a bit of gritty mud, but not as much as a King 1k, which is actually my current stone because it's the closest to what I want. But it's still not as muddy as I'd like and of course it's slow.
    To be clear, I don't actually know that it's the Arashiyama 1000 that I have. It's this stone here: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kwtdi/imanishi_green1000/. Being green, 1000 grit, and made by Imanishi, I've always assumed it's the Arashiyama, but maybe it's not. In any case, I like it. It's not super fast, but it leaves a pretty even finish that easily transitions to naturals.

I love the softness of the blue aoto, but it doesn't cut fast so it's not the greatest stone to start out on. I have the 1k red brick (naniwa not the one cktg sells which I heard is junk) and I am loving it so far. Some mud, cuts fast-ish, not gritty like the bester 700 I was using. Mom has an old king 1200 which I use everytime I go home to sharpen for her and it's also a great stone. Good luck in the search!
    Last edited by pleue; 08-21-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    The jns 800 is a great stone, but it's not very soft. It leaves a fantastic and very even misty finish.
    What he said. This the best 800-1200 stone I've ever used, and I've used more than a dozen.

On what steel and what type of knives?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/