Chef's Protege and UK colleges ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumblinman

Reaction score
Hey, I've just watched Chef's Protege and has having fun watching the chef's pick their cooks from schools but started to wonder about their knives and knife skills. I liked the program cause I could yell at the screen for a bit and stare open mouthed for a while, good craic. But as I watched further I saw them using the smallest knives possible to try to do the task and always using those pastry spatulas to work with. I even saw the elusive 'holy' knife being used. (i.e. knife with holes drilled through it for alien research I think)

So the question is.. Is this a common practice ? i.e. using really small knives and the pastry deal. I know a spat is a spat until it's in your hands. I myself, would rather have used a fish spat to make sure it doesn't fall on the ground. And at one point I swear I saw a butter knife being used to cut veges.

I have to admit that the very last show was my favorite. Great chefs sitting down to a meal and you can tell who is the badass in the row.

Back