Quantcast
Info wanted about sakai knife maker - aus - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Info wanted about sakai knife maker - aus

And really custom or "bespoke" order from their perspective is just picking a handle and an available blade.

There are a few things that are priced reasonably there: some Konosukes and Japanese groceries.

Yeah I have no doubt that I can get much better value buying from overseas, I just went in to have a play and really liked that knifes fit and finish, plus they let you at a whole draw of handles to pick the one you like the best. I know if I get that I'm paying a couple hundred too much but there will be no surprises. I just can't find anything online about Kaiden.

I like to buy bits and bobs from the melbourne shop, it's nice to go and chat about knives in person on the sort of level that we do here. There are some things that when you include shipping from the US or Japan, prices are competitive, and for me that's enough to want to support a bricks and mortar local store.

I agree, I like the idea of supporting them, even if it costs a little extra.

I'm wondering whether or not that seller blocks overseas internet users from browsing that site because they read this forum and realise that we forumites like to go in there to point and laugh at their gumption in charging those prices. I know I have pointed on this and other forums their propensity to gouge several times in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I'm wondering whether or not that seller blocks overseas internet users from browsing that site because they read this forum and realise that we forumites like to go in there to point and laugh at their gumption in charging those prices. I know I have pointed on this and other forums their propensity to gouge several times in the past.
    I think you're right.

FWIW, you can view the site using an Australian/New Zealand-based proxy, like this one: http://pink.net.nz/g/

...if you want to........

Why, how very cunning of them ......

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    I think you're right.

FWIW, you can view the site using an Australian/New Zealand-based proxy, like this one: http://pink.net.nz/g/

...if you want to........

I purchased the 240mm Wa-Gyuto in G-3 from Chefsarmoury as my first foray into Japanese knives since then I have purchased knives from all the best Japanese makers Kato, Shig, Heiji etc and to be honest I love this knife as much if not more than all of the above, this knife gets razor sharp has good edge retention and sharpens easily, it is also finished extremely well and has an excellent grind.
    They aren't exactly giving them away but these are excellent knives in every aspect IMHO.

Hardly surprising that a brick-and-mortar store in Sydney has a significant mark-up. Mega-expensive, that city.

If you want to see what can be done, check out this UK-based retailer.

http://www.japaneseknifecompany.com/...nife270MM.aspx

That's $1011. A 270mm Saji from JCK goes for $350.

I've spent some time and energy looking into and trying to understand the so-called 'Australia Tax': it's partly the tyranny of distance, higher overheads (wages, taxes, regulation), the oligopolistic tendencies in certain industries (see petrol, groceries and banking) and the sheer willingness of the Australian consumer to pay above the odds (ie elastic, demand-driven pricing).

+ Reply to Thread