Quantcast
Corkage to be or not to be - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corkage to be or not to be

I tend not to bring wines to restaurants but out of the dozen or so times I have, I have never actually been charged a corkage fee. Here are my rules: (1) Always call ahead and ask if it is ok. (2) Before taking your bottle out at the restaurant ask your server about it again and explain that you called ahead, don't just spring it on them as they don't know you have called about it and they might not know the fees or rules themselves -- don't assume. (3) Bring a kick-a$$ bottle of wine -- something they will be jealous of. (4) I always leave a half glass in the bottom of the bottle and for the server or sommelier. And lastly (5) if the wine needs to be decanted, do it at home before you arrive. They shouldn't have to work more for it or understand how your 2001 barolo needs to be decanted. Make it easy.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Well, of course. I was speaking of my OWN experience, in a very specific area of the world. ;-)
    It was not directed at you just my 2 cent opinion to add to the thread with my experiences and travels.

Sam

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    No offense taken, and i understand, just making my own position clear. I know a bit about ethnic groups. Had a Greek girlfriend for several years and I want to tell you that I'm well aware that very little could keep the family from bringing their own wine to a restaurant. LOL

I want to thank each of you for your responses (Todd, Justin, John, Sam, and K). And i would say that I am in general agreement with what has been said. Though i will still need to be aware of my wife's concerns.
    But again thank you each. Tom

I think it really depends on the restaurant in question. I have rarely brought wines to restaurants except in rare circumstances where they have just awful wines, no wine or are already a BYO liquor type establishment and also for very special occasions. I always tip on corkage unless the waiter / waitress doesn't open or pour for you, then it may be adjusted accordingly. I also agree to offer some to the sommelier or wait staff although I have rarely seen wait staff partake.

I bring beer, not wine. I have lots of bombers at home that I would love to drink but when I am home I am usually alone and not eating food. So I bring them out to eat. I put them in a giant insulated bag. And if I know the kitchen I put a 12 pack of whatever in there for them as well. The server will take them and keep them chilled and then I just tell the server which beers I want when and then that the rest is for the kitchen.

If you are worried that you will be tipping less because your wine sales are lower, you could always just over tip. But don't feel too bad, most servers are overpaid anyway.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    ...I also agree to offer some to the sommelier or wait staff although I have rarely seen wait staff partake.
    If you sit at the bar, as my wife and I like to, it is a lot more common. Other times I just leave it on the table, and I am sure they often take it back to the kitchen once we have gone.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Midsummer View Post
    Though i will still need to be aware of my wife's concerns.
    Tom
    I guess it would pointing out the blatantly obvious that ...you'd be a fool not to. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    I have rarely brought wines to restaurants except in rare circumstances where they have just awful wines, no wine .
    Heh...hate to ask...what would you possibly be doing in a restaurant such as that? lol

Here in PA -and Philadelphia in particular- BYOB's are commonplace. Most don't charge a corkage, but those that do tend to be nominal. In the past several years many places with wine lists have BYOB policies, always with a higher corkage. Tipping tends not to take corkage into account.

The only other place I ever saw many restaurants with BYOB/corkage policies is Napa and Sonoma. Apparently it's catching on throughout the country. Some places such as Peter Luger's in NYC won't allow BYOB for any wine or anyone. I heard they turned away Henry Kissenger's attempt to bring a bottle of Lafite.

Unless the server is a complete jerk, I most always offer a glass. If the food is really good, I send a glass back to the chef. If they have a wine list and a sommelier, I always offer a glass.

If there's any question about a BYO policy (places with wine lists rarely advertise it) just call ahead and ask.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain