Quantcast
Hyper-decanting - Anyone try it?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyper-decanting - Anyone try it?

Hyper-decanting - Anyone try it?

I just read an article in the Chicago Tribune about decanting wines in a blender to aerate evenly through the whole batch in just a few minutes. They stated that they did a blind taste test with wine industry professionals and sommeliers and they wholeheartedly preferred the hyper-aerated ones. Just wondering if anyone has tried it?

I've been meaning to since I read about it in Modernist cuisine a couple years back, but always space it off.
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

Never tried it, don't drink wine. But if I did, I would, just because it seems like it would be such a faux pas to wine snobs.

Originally from Nathan Myhrvold I believe:

http://pursuitist.com/nathan-myhrvol...-wine-blender/
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Never tried it. Tho' the idea of putting a great wine in a bloody blender offends my sensibilities and sense of, probably dated, propriety. Makes perfect sense tho'.

I haven't tried it, but I will the next chance I get. I guess the Mollydooker shake is basically the same thing, just a bit less extreme.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Do it all the time in the Blendtec. Maybe hit it with a 10 second very high blast of the blender. It creates an effervescent mix in the wine for a few seconds. Definitely opens the wine and softens the tannins a bit. I think it it oxygenates the wine vs oxidizes the wine. None of my wine friends/snobs go for it though. They think I'm a nut blending my 2000 Haunt Bergey
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Another case of 'How it's done', as opposed to a different -and probably-better way of doing it. It's more 'refined' to put it in a crystal decanter and wait an hour, and then portion it into a Reidel glass shaped according to the varietal, then swirl and cup and inhale before every taste... I'm all for revering the time, effort, aging, subtlety, nuances, blah blah blah- but dammit- it's supposed to get you drunk!
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

I use an aerator a lot, but the idea of putting a nice wine in a blender-- I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I use an aerator a lot, but the idea of putting a nice wine in a blender-- I think not.
    why not?

Exactly.

+ Reply to Thread