Quantcast
Upgrade from Misono 440 recommendations - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from Misono 440 recommendations

That is pretty! Is it stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    That is pretty! Is it stainless?
    Yes, it's R2/SG2 Pm stainless. Awesome steel with Shigeki's heat treatment and grind.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    you have many choice of custom knife for around $~500(mostly wa-handle only)....price will rise up if you want some fancy handle! problem is loooooooooooong waiting time. Martell gyuto is good choice for western handle custom knife.
    Ya I was going to ask Dave how long the wait time was and see about getting on the list for the rehandle once I got the knife. I found a couple of pieces on burlsource that I loved.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Wait- he's weirded out that you want cool stuff that does something over stuff that does nothing except be pretty?!? (No offense to any jewelry makers on the forum...)
    Anything to do with the kitchen is not cool to him unless he can eat it lol.

Ya I was going to ask Dave how long the wait time was and see about getting on the list for the rehandle once I got the knife. I found a couple of pieces on burlsource that I loved.
    I think he said it was around 10 months but that was a month or so ago... Don't quote me on that one.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    you also might want to pinpoint what exactly it is you want in a knife that you feel your not getting in the misono. if memory serves the steel isnt too hard at all so it should be pretty easy to sharpen and get pretty sharp. when you say you want to get a sharper knife, well the sharpness depends on you. i like the gesshin kagero suggestion if youre going to stick to your current budget. if you can save $300 or more alot more options will open up for you.
    I haven't tried my hand at sharpening yet. I ordered a stone from korin today to start learning. It's currently on its way to Jon for sharpening and to fix the curl at the tip. I'm not sure if I can accurately describe what it is I'm looking for other than more oomph. I like the way it cuts though it could be smoother. And it could definitely be prettier. I don't need some super über knife because I'm not a professional or even close to it but I would like one with a bit more....something. I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    What makes you so sure about the western handle? A wa- would increase your options dramatically.
    I've never handled a wa and the closest place to me is JKI which is 3-5 hours away depending on traffic. I'd be afraid I wouldn't like the feel and then be stuck with a knife I didn't like. On the other hand, I keep wondering what if I did end up liking it and then wasted my money on a western.

Is there a big difference in the way it feels in hand compared to a western? I have thought about it.

Hiromoto AS maybe? AS is a great performer. I think the patina looks badass against the cladding too. I like the way they look OOTB but you can snazzy them up pretty good too. Do a search for some of the full spa treatments that Dave has done on them.

I was actually thinking about that too. Dave has done some beautiful work. Isn't the AS carbon at the edge though?

I've never handled a wa and the closest place to me is JKI which is 3-5 hours away depending on traffic. I'd be afraid I wouldn't like the feel and then be stuck with a knife I didn't like. On the other hand, I keep wondering what if I did end up liking it and then wasted my money on a western.

Is there a big difference in the way it feels in hand compared to a western? I have thought about it.
    If you use a pinch grip then I don't think you would notice much of a difference. I will say that if JKI is only 3-5 hours away that you should make the journey. He's open on the weekend and you could pick up your blade and hold/see a bunch of good knives all at once.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    If you use a pinch grip then I don't think you would notice much of a difference. I will say that if JKI is only 3-5 hours away that you should make the journey. He's open on the weekend and you could pick up your blade and hold/see a bunch of good knives all at once.
    What he said. If I was as close as you, I'd probably hate me if I was Jon... You should just go there and stop wondering about all of these options, and actively handle them. Jon will steer you in the direction YOU need to go.
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread