Quantcast
Upgrade from Misono 440 recommendations - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from Misono 440 recommendations

My takamura 240 gyuto also in R2 steel, less than $500 IIRC.

For a "forever gyuto," it's worth the drive to JKI. You can read all the reviews, read the specs, but if it's one knife to rule them all, best to try it in your hand.

Believe me, I wish I could. Unfortunately that's an impossibility until next march or April unless we are blessed with orders out of this dreadfully awful place lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    My takamura 240 gyuto also in R2 steel, less than $500 IIRC.

That's beautiful! So is the wood it's laying on!!

The Kikuichi damascus is a OEM blade offered (far cheaper) by many companies, I would avoid that one. If you want damascus+western+performance, the recommendation of the Tanaka R2 is right on point. Very good value for money considering the materials/smith. The only gripe I have seen is that the handles are on the small side, which may or may not be an issue.

There's a new Hiromoto (Tenmi-Jyuraku Damascus) with a similar aesthetic, VG-10 core just been introduced by JCK which is closer to your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    The Kikuichi damascus is a OEM blade offered (far cheaper) by many companies, I would avoid that one. If you want damascus+western+performance, the recommendation of the Tanaka R2 is right on point. Very good value for money considering the materials/smith. The only gripe I have seen is that the handles are on the small side, which may or may not be an issue.

There's a new Hiromoto (Tenmi-Jyuraku Damascus) with a similar aesthetic, VG-10 core just been introduced by JCK which is closer to your price range.

I've been leaning towards a Hiromoto since I saw how stunning Dave made them in his spa thread. The Damascus really isn't that important to me, I just thought the way it flowed into the hammered part of the blade on the Kikuichi was rather pretty.

How does the Hiromoto perform? It seems to be a popular knife given all the reworks Dave has done on them.

i would not recommend the hiromoto damasscus line, especially taking the pricing into account. I have 3 knives from the VG10 damascus line (doh! this was my first set of J knives back in 09), while it looks OK, its VG10 was not the best.

I have only read great reviews of the AS line, and if it was me, I'd pick up a 240 AS with Dave package over the damascus line.

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    I've been leaning towards a Hiromoto since I saw how stunning Dave made them in his spa thread.
    Dave-pimped Hiromoto AS's appear from time to time in the buy/sell/trade forum here. Performance is going to be stellar if you pick one of these up, if you put out a "want to buy" post you may get some offers. Be aware that the hagane is not stainless though, although AS is pretty robust once a patina has set in.

I vote for Konosuke HD western with white micarta handle.

For just a bit more $, something like this would definitely be a "forever gyuto":

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...cm-AEB-L-gyuto