Upgrade from Misono 440 recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erilyn75

Reaction score
I bought my first Japanese knife (with your help) back in April, a Misono 440 gyuto and I really like working with it but I'm ready for an upgrade. It's currently on its way to Jon for a sharpening and to fix the tip which somehow curled. Anyhow, I'd like to stick with a rust resistant one, western handle and I think I'm going to go for a 240 this time. I'd also like to get one with kanji engraving on it with a budget of around $200-$250. Of course cheaper is always better ;)

Whichever knife I get I want it to be my "forever" gyuto and I plan to have the handle redone to really make it mine. The hubby is having heart palpitations over my knife addiction and told me to get one that I really like and stay with it lol.

The one I really like is the Kikuichi Warikomi gold and the Damascus. I'm not sure if the makers name is etched or stamped and unsure of the performance so I'd like your input and suggestions on other knives please.

Here is the link to my original post back in April

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/11897-First-Japanese-Knife-Recommendations

What are the some of most important improvements compared to your Misono that you're looking for?

Hmmm, this is my only gyuto so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as function goes other than a Wusthof, which was a BIG improvement, but I would like something a bit sharper, bigger and honestly, prettier. I've got stones on order so that's something I'll be teaching myself soon. Basically, a sexy, sharp and good performing 240.

Gesshin ginga or kagero? If damascus cladding is a must, I'd personally save up another $200-300 and pick up a Tanaka R2 or Saji R2.

Hiromoto AS maybe? AS is a great performer. I think the patina looks badass against the cladding too. I like the way they look OOTB but you can snazzy them up pretty good too. Do a search for some of the full spa treatments that Dave has done on them.

The prettier x performance x western handle = $$$

If this is really the route you want to go, I'd save up a little more dosh, and then see where you want to go.

Honestly I agree with the above who mentioned saving up more money but if I was you I would order a custom from one of the makers on this board and be done with it.

Western rehandle will cost you about $200+.....how about forget Damascus & rehandle and get a very nice 240 J-gyuto or custom gyuto for around $450~500?

The hubby is having heart palpitations over my knife addiction and told me to get one that I really like and stay with it lol.

Sorry that's just not how this thing works. I agree, if this is it, save some more and get one that you may be able to stick with. Anything available at the $250 point won't be "THAT" knife I'm afraid. :cool2:

Can I get a custom for that amount? Every one I've seen is $1k or more.

Well I knew the re handle would be about $200 so I was factoring that into my calculations. If I can get a custom for around $450/$500 then that would be even better.

There's still 2 more knives I want to add to my collection. A slicer and nakiri because I think they are cool. First I have to get my forever knife and smooge up the hubby for more steel. He asked me tonight why I couldn't be like a normal wife and just ask for a purse or jewelry lol

At that price range, I'm going to push for the Tanaka Ironwood. Beautiful knives with a nice handle to boot. Here's a pic I found of an etched one from the old forum.

1256046565-tanakaEtching2.jpg

Can I get a custom for that amount? Every one I've seen is $1k or more.
you have many choice of custom knife for around $~500(mostly wa-handle only)....price will rise up if you want some fancy handle! problem is loooooooooooong waiting time. Martell gyuto is good choice for western handle custom knife.

Wait- he's weirded out that you want cool stuff that does something over stuff that does nothing except be pretty?!? (No offense to any jewelry makers on the forum...)

you also might want to pinpoint what exactly it is you want in a knife that you feel your not getting in the misono. if memory serves the steel isnt too hard at all so it should be pretty easy to sharpen and get pretty sharp. when you say you want to get a sharper knife, well the sharpness depends on you. i like the gesshin kagero suggestion if youre going to stick to your current budget. if you can save $300 or more alot more options will open up for you.

What makes you so sure about the western handle? A wa- would increase your options dramatically.

you have many choice of custom knife for around $~500(mostly wa-handle only)....price will rise up if you want some fancy handle! problem is loooooooooooong waiting time. Martell gyuto is good choice for western handle custom knife.

Ya I was going to ask Dave how long the wait time was and see about getting on the list for the rehandle once I got the knife. I found a couple of pieces on burlsource that I loved.

Wait- he's weirded out that you want cool stuff that does something over stuff that does nothing except be pretty?!? (No offense to any jewelry makers on the forum...)

Anything to do with the kitchen is not cool to him unless he can eat it lol.

Ya I was going to ask Dave how long the wait time was and see about getting on the list for the rehandle once I got the knife. I found a couple of pieces on burlsource that I loved.

I think he said it was around 10 months but that was a month or so ago... Don't quote me on that one.

you also might want to pinpoint what exactly it is you want in a knife that you feel your not getting in the misono. if memory serves the steel isnt too hard at all so it should be pretty easy to sharpen and get pretty sharp. when you say you want to get a sharper knife, well the sharpness depends on you. i like the gesshin kagero suggestion if youre going to stick to your current budget. if you can save $300 or more alot more options will open up for you.

I haven't tried my hand at sharpening yet. I ordered a stone from korin today to start learning. It's currently on its way to Jon for sharpening and to fix the curl at the tip. I'm not sure if I can accurately describe what it is I'm looking for other than more oomph. I like the way it cuts though it could be smoother. And it could definitely be prettier. I don't need some super über knife because I'm not a professional or even close to it but I would like one with a bit more....something. I hope that makes sense.

What makes you so sure about the western handle? A wa- would increase your options dramatically.

I've never handled a wa and the closest place to me is JKI which is 3-5 hours away depending on traffic. I'd be afraid I wouldn't like the feel and then be stuck with a knife I didn't like. On the other hand, I keep wondering what if I did end up liking it and then wasted my money on a western.

Is there a big difference in the way it feels in hand compared to a western? I have thought about it.

Hiromoto AS maybe? AS is a great performer. I think the patina looks badass against the cladding too. I like the way they look OOTB but you can snazzy them up pretty good too. Do a search for some of the full spa treatments that Dave has done on them.

I was actually thinking about that too. Dave has done some beautiful work. Isn't the AS carbon at the edge though?

I've never handled a wa and the closest place to me is JKI which is 3-5 hours away depending on traffic. I'd be afraid I wouldn't like the feel and then be stuck with a knife I didn't like. On the other hand, I keep wondering what if I did end up liking it and then wasted my money on a western.

Is there a big difference in the way it feels in hand compared to a western? I have thought about it.

If you use a pinch grip then I don't think you would notice much of a difference. I will say that if JKI is only 3-5 hours away that you should make the journey. He's open on the weekend and you could pick up your blade and hold/see a bunch of good knives all at once.

If you use a pinch grip then I don't think you would notice much of a difference. I will say that if JKI is only 3-5 hours away that you should make the journey. He's open on the weekend and you could pick up your blade and hold/see a bunch of good knives all at once.

What he said. If I was as close as you, I'd probably hate me if I was Jon... You should just go there and stop wondering about all of these options, and actively handle them. Jon will steer you in the direction YOU need to go.

Back