Contrast between cladding and core steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateo

Reaction score
Hello! I think the title almost says it all -- how do you maintain contrast between a cladding steel and the core steel? I have a Yoshikane gyuto that I thinned and flattened the bevels -- which is great, I'm digging the extra performance it brings. I'm curious how to bring back that "foggy" look in the middle cladding layers (core would be polished, middle foggy, outer grey -- although I think the outer hammered steel is the same as the middle)?

The most common way to get that look is with natural stones. Dave also gets a faux-kasumi finish that looks really good from a combination of King 800x followed by his Blue Aoto synthetics. Some synthetics seem to give that finish better than others. A couple of the Geshin stones that Jon sells gives a pretty good faux-kasumi finish as well. But the biggest part of it is technique. Usually it requires a relatively muddy stone and the proper combination of pressure, finger position, knife angle to the stone, etc. Oh, you also need to absolutely make sure that you've removed scratches from the lower grit stones as well, so it takes a good bit of work on each stone and you really should have stones that bridge the gaps well (1000x, 2000-4000x muddy, 6000-8000x, finisher that leaves the kasumi finish). If you don't have a finishing stone that leaves a kasumi finish you can drop back down with light pressure and a very delicate touch to something like the synthetic blue aoto and get a good kasumi finish.

Back