what kind of chef's knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicooper123

Reaction score

Australia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?

Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western but happy to try others

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240 I think

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for
slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, trimming meats, etc.)?

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Wusthof classic 16cm
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use?
slicing
Rock chop
What improvements do you want from your current knife?

Ease of Use
use the knife right out of the box; rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; easier to sharpen

Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Long

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood or plastic
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
no
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
As I'm in Australia Ebay is a preferable site to buy a knife I think in terms of shipping ease etc.

Have a look at japanesechefsknife.com. I have bought several from them over the years and they get here in 3 days which is faster than i can get a parcel from Sydney.

+1 to japanesechefknife.com

3 gyuto (chef knifes) come to mind....Hiromoto AS (super blue cladded carbon steel), Hiromoto G3 (great stainless), and JCK Carbonext (semi stainless tool steel)
and the JCK 1000/4000 combo whetstone...

All pretty well established classics that serve well as first time j-knives that seem to get better as better as your knowledge of j-knives grows.
Today, the JCK Carbonext would be my first pick

Back