Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JNS 800 Discount !!

This afternoon received a parcel and woot can I say ?

3 DAYS 3 DAYS 3 DAYS - Its absolutly insane fast shipping !!!

Normal(past) delivery way - is about 20-40 days for shipping.
    ty

About stone:
    not checked yet.
    but outside and touch appears ordinary.
    soft and porous, like beston 500.
    Just should to try and type my view after.

This round, DHL (particularly DHL Australia) delivered the service. Given that the package was posted Monday night our time, it arrived at my door Thursday midday. Haven't received a package from Maxim this quick for a long time, but most usual, a delay on DHL Australia part.

Had a chance to try the stone a bit with my Sakai Takayuki usuba. The very first impression is, this stone is big; bigger than JNS 1k which is already bigger than nestor 1.2k. This is a plus for me as thin stone wear down, it is a bit more cumbersome to use with stone holder i.e. have to find a way to lift the sharpening surface up somehow. And it is a drinker, after 30 minutes soak, it produces some bubbling noise when I pull it up to start sharpening.

Now for some usage, I can only give a quick comparison to other stones that I have within this range: JNS 1k, bestor 700, bestor 1.2k, and king 800.

Hardness: JNS1k > bestor 1.2k > JNS800 > bestor 700 > king 800 from hardest to softest.
    Speed: bestor 700, JNS 1k > bestor 1.2k, JNS800 and possibly > king 800 from faster to slower.
    Fineness on hagane: I think is on par with JNS1k and bestor 1.2k for hagane, and better than bestor 700 and king 800
    Fineness and evenness on jigane as a whole: JNS800 > bester 1.2k > king 800 > bester 700 > JNS 1k

As Maxim said that this stone is a very good candidate for wide bevel knives, I do concur. Jigane color that I got was daker, more even, and seems finer than king 800. Possibly similar in grit and fineness to bestor 1.2k finish, but it is quite a bit easier to get even finish with JNS800.

That's it for now as an initial impression. Thank again Maxim, for another fun toy.

3 days? Mine arrived in 2

Wrote a review here - http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...0-Matukusuyama

(sad really, can't afford a vacation, so I spent my Labor Day weekend playing with a stone)

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    3 days? Mine arrived in 2

Wrote a review here - http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...0-Matukusuyama

(sad really, can't afford a vacation, so I spent my Labor Day weekend playing with a stone)
    lol not sad at all.
    Chewie's the man.