Quantcast
The "Green Brick", is it really "all that"? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Green Brick", is it really "all that"?

if green bricks are still $50 new i think its a good value. definitely a good stone for community use at work, its thick and will have a long life. but seriously, it gouges so easily. you really have to be careful when using it.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    .... However, it has a strange feel, gouges SUPER easy, dishes quickly and has strange feedback.
    That's a deal breaker for me.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I agree with the gouges very easy comment. I have to do major reflattening on mine fairly often to correct that. I like the stone so that isn't the end of the world for me but you better have a stone flattener handy if you are going to use one.

I just spent about 45 minutes using the Green Brick this morning on two carbon steel knives that I have: a carbon steel Dexter Chinese Cleaver and my Kanehisa carbon steel 240 yanagiba. I then used it again on my Global G-2 and Sakai Takayuki Inox 120 petty.

I can't recommend this stone unless you're primarily sharpening softer stainless steels. All of the feel that I like with carbon steel knives is lost on this stone. It feels less like a stone and more like putty. The feedback and feel are worse than I remembered.

It provides a decent edge, a relatively nice polish on carbon steel knives, but it dishes and gouges super easy, and for that reason, it's very difficult to sharpen the tip of a knife without gouging the stone. If you sharpen sectionally with perpendicular strokes with the knife nearly horizontal and the stone vertical, it's ok; if you use any kind of sweeping motion, or angle your knife in any manner, you will probably gouge the stone. You'll have to be very careful if you sharpen a heavier knife on this, IMHO, because of the weight of larger knives. In addition, it loads up my Atoma 140 like crazy when flattening.

But, for softer stainless, it provides a good edge, and decent polish more than other stones that I've used, bad feel and feedback aside.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

The stone is not for folks with heavy hands and will punish you for not paying attention. Not for a casual user but is a great "stepping" stone

I used mine one time and sold it IMHO there are much better grit stones for the money and vets that use stones all the time .

Sam

It's obviously a personal preference thing but I love mine for stainless and carbons. I have no trouble at all with gouging, I must hold a pretty good angle.

Okay, so I'm hearing some folks recommend it for softer stainless knives, while others don't.

Is there another more widely supported recommendation for softer stainless knives or softer carbons (like Sabatier or CCK cleaver)?

i don't really like soft stones, they cut too long. just got used to fast cutting stones.