A Lucky Find

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Yesterday we spent the day checking out sources for Redwood and Myrtlewood along the coast of Northern California and up as far as Bandon Oregon. We found some good sources for some large figured logs and burl. One of the places where we stopped had some warehouses with wood piled everywhere. I started climbing over piles of wood and in a dark back corner I found a big dusty chunk of wood that caught my eye. I started to pull it out and found that it was really heavy. When I got it out into the light I think I almost peed on myself. It was kind of expensive but I think I got it for a fraction of it's actual value.
The piece is 5 foot long and weighs over 100 lbs. From the outside it appears to be jet black.
e001_zps0a81d2d5.jpg

That would make a great handle for the the world's largest knife. lol. Grats on the find. Hope it turns out to be as good as you hope for or better.

The wood is a real old chunk of Black Ebony.
Not sure what variety yet. The guy who had it was using it to cut guitar fingerboards.

Mark I'll take 10 pounds (not kidding)
I will cut some good pieces for you Mike.

I started out by cutting off a manageable size chunk.
Then I cut a slab and sanded it to see what the wood looks like.
Pretty dark with very subtle bronze bands when the light hits it just right.
So far......I really like it.
I still don't know what variety of Ebony it is. Seems to cut and smell different than the African Gabon Ebony.
I am guessing that is is one of the Asian Ebonies, but that is just a guess.
e003_zps6f512e79.jpg

I got some blocks cut and sanded.
They should be going into the web store tomorrow.
So far I have gotten some really nice blocks.
2_zps5b181b79.jpg

Latest posts

Back