Quantcast
Restoring Old Blades
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring Old Blades

Restoring Old Blades

I bought an old cleaver on ebay a while back just because I thought it looked kind of cool.
    It had some light rust and minor pitting. My plan was to clean it up and rehandle it.
    I did not want to polish it smooth because I kind of like it looking old.

Can anyone suggest a way to clean up the surface without removing the surface texture?
    Any suggestions are welcomed.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Been looking into this myself. A lot of folks seem to have gotten good results by soaking in break free CLP and then scrubbing with a scotch brite.

Barkeeper's friend is a good option. It'll leave the surface greyish and clean enough to use, without getting rid of existing pits and such. Just rinse it well after.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

+1 on barkeepers friend.

Another trick that's food safe and may work is ketchup. Wipe on a bunch, let it sit a few minutes than rub off, rinse off....
    The vinegar in ketchup does a good job at helping eat through or loosen rust and dirt. The thickness helps it stay in place....and it works well as a really fine gentle abrasive. I've used it to take really nasty old copper back to a mirror shine (ketchup as cleaner, than buffing) and for rust on metals a bunch of times. I haven't tried it on a knife restoration but no reason it shouldn't help there too.

One caution though -with ketchup don't leave it on their too long. It's less acidic and lower in vinegar content than mustard, but in the same way mustard's used to force a patina and surface etch, the ketchup could probably do the same if left on too long. Less than ten minutes though, suspect no problem at all.....

It'll remove the scuzz and active rust while making the blade only shinier. All of the character will remain.

Thank You for the advice everyone.
    I guess I will have to actually finish this project.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Depending on the equipment you there is Scotch Brite wheels and belts for this very issue .

Sam

I did a little experiment with simichrome metal polish last night. Works good. I think it is similar to the stuff Dave recommended above. I was also thinking that WD40 would have similar properties to CLP products so I gave that a try too. Works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

It'll remove the scuzz and active rust while making the blade only shinier. All of the character will remain.
    +10 on Flitz!!!
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

0000 wool, Flitz or 600 to 800 grit wet/dry paper would be my top choices.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com