Restoring Old Blades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I bought an old cleaver on ebay a while back just because I thought it looked kind of cool.
It had some light rust and minor pitting. My plan was to clean it up and rehandle it.
I did not want to polish it smooth because I kind of like it looking old.

Can anyone suggest a way to clean up the surface without removing the surface texture?
Any suggestions are welcomed.
e002_zps9d23a45a.jpg

Been looking into this myself. A lot of folks seem to have gotten good results by soaking in break free CLP and then scrubbing with a scotch brite.

Barkeeper's friend is a good option. It'll leave the surface greyish and clean enough to use, without getting rid of existing pits and such. Just rinse it well after.

+1 on barkeepers friend.

Another trick that's food safe and may work is ketchup. Wipe on a bunch, let it sit a few minutes than rub off, rinse off....
The vinegar in ketchup does a good job at helping eat through or loosen rust and dirt. The thickness helps it stay in place....and it works well as a really fine gentle abrasive. I've used it to take really nasty old copper back to a mirror shine (ketchup as cleaner, than buffing) and for rust on metals a bunch of times. I haven't tried it on a knife restoration but no reason it shouldn't help there too.

One caution though -with ketchup don't leave it on their too long. It's less acidic and lower in vinegar content than mustard, but in the same way mustard's used to force a patina and surface etch, the ketchup could probably do the same if left on too long. Less than ten minutes though, suspect no problem at all.....

Flitz-Metal-Polish.jpg

578206.jpg

It'll remove the scuzz and active rust while making the blade only shinier. All of the character will remain.

Thank You for the advice everyone.
I guess I will have to actually finish this project.

Depending on the equipment you there is Scotch Brite wheels and belts for this very issue .

Sam

I did a little experiment with simichrome metal polish last night. Works good. I think it is similar to the stuff Dave recommended above. I was also thinking that WD40 would have similar properties to CLP products so I gave that a try too. Works well.

Next time I go to town I will get some flitz to clean it up.
After that I will attempt a re-handle.

Latest posts

Back