Quantcast
Let's see some honyaki (re)finishes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see some honyaki (re)finishes

Let's see some honyaki (re)finishes

After spending some time enjoying the amazing technicolor patina's that my Gesshin honyaki took, it eventually evened out into a stable, but uninteresting muttled dark grey.
    SO, I decided that it was time to clean it up and test out some different methods for bringing back that sexy hamon.

Here's the patina at the pinacle of awesome:

gallery: https://plus.google.com/photos/11760...057?banner=pwa

...and after sandpaper, stones, mud, etching, polishing, re-etching, and lots more elbow grease:

gallery: https://picasaweb.google.com/1176006...50253240785138

It's certainly not "traditional" but after many hours over several days of experimentation it was the most even, detailed and dramatic display of the hamon I could manage.
    I haven't cut anything with it yet, but I'll be curious to see if the patina develops as brighty over the etched steel (even though it has been highly polished an the oxide mostly removed).

So lets see what ya got! This is the most difficult, labor intensive finish I've done on any knife so far, I'm interesting to hear the process of how other folks finish honyakis and the results that they get.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

That looks great! I'm not really willing to spend more than half an hour on a kitchen knife refinish, so my honyaki looks pretty plain.

I have seen a blade sanded through to 2000, then dipped with multiple short cycles of ferric chloride (diluted!), having the oxides rubbed off with barkeeper's friend. This builds a food friendly patina base as long as you get ALL of the oxides off. Rub THOROUGHLY if you use your hands!!...but be careful and don't lose a finger lol.

The result is a lovely microscopically iridescent (in the right light) patina, with the hamon and habuchi (transition) brought out in high contrast. The hard edge is dark, while the soft steel above is lighter.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Good work Justin...you mind if I borrow that for a couple? (NOTE: Unit of time not specified.)
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    That looks great! I'm not really willing to spend more than half an hour on a kitchen knife refinish, so my honyaki looks pretty plain.
    Yeah this was not something that I'd ever do on a regular basis. It was all about not having any knives that needed work and an urge to listen to music, drink some bourbon and knerd out of a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    I have seen a blade sanded through to 2000, then dipped with multiple short cycles of ferric chloride (diluted!), having the oxides rubbed off with barkeeper's friend. This builds a food friendly patina base as long as you get ALL of the oxides off. Rub THOROUGHLY if you use your hands!!...but be careful and don't lose a finger lol.

The result is a lovely microscopically iridescent (in the right light) patina, with the hamon and habuchi (transition) brought out in high contrast. The hard edge is dark, while the soft steel above is lighter.
    Yeah that's basically what my process amounted too: alternating cycles of etching and polishing. The etch really seemed to help even out the polishing scratches too.
    If you look at the close up, you can see the transition almost appears like a shadow. In person, it's a super cool effect: looks almost like the hamon is floating and really shows it as being IN the blade, not just on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Good work Justin...you mind if I borrow that for a couple? (NOTE: Unit of time not specified.)
    I already made the offer! LMK when you've got the time... you may also need to send a pen my way.

And thanks Dave! It mean's a lot coming from you. May I ask how you handle honyakis? Do you use acid or just all abrasion / polishing?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    And thanks Dave! It mean's a lot coming from you. May I ask how you handle honyakis? Do you use acid or just all abrasion / polishing?

I handle them as little as possible.

That's actually a serious answer.

But anyway I have done it similar to you with mixed results. It's such a time consuming process.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I already made the offer! LMK when you've got the time... you may also need to send a pen my way.
    I forgot you were looking for a pen!

I think my work travel is about to settle down...I'll know by mid-week. Then I'll send you a couple of Pens to play with, I might have some cartridges for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I handle them as little as possible.

That's actually a serious answer.

But anyway I have done it similar to you with mixed results. It's such a time consuming process.
    lol... i've got 6 honyaki knives to refinish/sharpen in the next few days... sometimes i wish i could avoid them too... especially the really messed up ones. I'm rehabing a honyaki usuba right now. Someone took it from the owner, messed it up, tried to fix it on a grinding wheel, screwed up the profile, got rid of the shinogi line and messed up the finish. Its been a few days of work so far... an hour here, an hour there.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    got rid of the shinogi line
    ***?! WTH would do that?! I mean...I understand not having the skills to properly finish, reprofile, etc. But destroy the shinogi? <SMFH>