Quantcast
belt grinder
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: belt grinder

belt grinder

For the hobbyist that wants to attempt making some knives for friends and self, what is the least expensive belt grinder you would recommend?
    Thanks-Tom
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

The absolute cheapest is the craftsman 2x42. After that the jump is pretty steep. At least 600 dollars.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

+1 for the 2x42. Good grinder for the price and you can get some good belts for them also.

There is always DIY belt grinder.I am very happy with the one I made.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    There is always DIY belt grinder.I am very happy with the one I made.
    You mind me asking what it cost you? I'm looking hard at the craftsman because it's hella cheap for what it does.
    - Sean

DIY is not cheap because the wheels are so darn expensive. I paid 200 bucks just for 4 wheels from Beaumont Metal Works. I am in the process of designing a simple DIY that uses inexpensive parts. I'm targeting 200 bucks total without the motor. The only thing I can't find is an inexpensive drive wheel that fits a 5/8 inch shaft.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I really like the "knifemaker sander" from Grizzly. I think it's probably around $400 plus shipping. It runs 2x72 belts and when you ever decided to upgrade to a nicer unit, this one still works great for woodworking, etc... There is also an unused shaft coming out the left side that can take a buffing wheel or whatever.

Ah, found a pic of it...

Just my two cents worth here. Even though I have a KMG that I use everyday for knives, I still use my Grizzly sander a lot.
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by Potato42 View Post
    You mind me asking what it cost you? I'm looking hard at the craftsman because it's hella cheap for what it does.
    I have about 600$ into it,I can't put a price on labor...I owe my bro a kinfe for sure.

I was just thinking about the difference between the 6X48 that I have and the 2X72 that seems to be the standard. If you go by the surface area of the belt, mine has twice the surface area. What makes the narrower belt attractive?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread