Quantcast
Hyper-decanting - Anyone try it?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyper-decanting - Anyone try it?

Hyper-decanting - Anyone try it?

I just read an article in the Chicago Tribune about decanting wines in a blender to aerate evenly through the whole batch in just a few minutes. They stated that they did a blind taste test with wine industry professionals and sommeliers and they wholeheartedly preferred the hyper-aerated ones. Just wondering if anyone has tried it?

I've been meaning to since I read about it in Modernist cuisine a couple years back, but always space it off.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Never tried it, don't drink wine. But if I did, I would, just because it seems like it would be such a faux pas to wine snobs.

Originally from Nathan Myhrvold I believe:

http://pursuitist.com/nathan-myhrvol...-wine-blender/
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Never tried it. Tho' the idea of putting a great wine in a bloody blender offends my sensibilities and sense of, probably dated, propriety. Makes perfect sense tho'.

I haven't tried it, but I will the next chance I get. I guess the Mollydooker shake is basically the same thing, just a bit less extreme.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Do it all the time in the Blendtec. Maybe hit it with a 10 second very high blast of the blender. It creates an effervescent mix in the wine for a few seconds. Definitely opens the wine and softens the tannins a bit. I think it it oxygenates the wine vs oxidizes the wine. None of my wine friends/snobs go for it though. They think I'm a nut blending my 2000 Haunt Bergey
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Another case of 'How it's done', as opposed to a different -and probably-better way of doing it. It's more 'refined' to put it in a crystal decanter and wait an hour, and then portion it into a Reidel glass shaped according to the varietal, then swirl and cup and inhale before every taste... I'm all for revering the time, effort, aging, subtlety, nuances, blah blah blah- but dammit- it's supposed to get you drunk!
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I use an aerator a lot, but the idea of putting a nice wine in a blender-- I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I use an aerator a lot, but the idea of putting a nice wine in a blender-- I think not.
    why not?

Exactly.