D. Martell Project Mizuno

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
Talk about a one of a kind! :spiteful:

This is Shane's 270mm Mizuno gyuto with a blue steel core with (I believe) iron cladding that has been thinned, etched, polished, and upgraded to a new Stefan Keller handle.

The blade was well used so I was asked to do the full spa treatment to clean & thin it up. After grinding on it some I could see the potential for some neat effects if the blade was etched so I ran the idea past Shane and he said go for it. :)

Before...

P1010003_zps2bd1183e.jpg

After...

P1010031_zps208449a5.jpg

P1010010_zps1e293890.jpg

Before...

P1010004_zps9fc47310.jpg

After...

P1010029_zps4d75aa4c.jpg

The handle is African blackwood with a vintage bakelite ferrule & blue mammoth end cap. Nice!

P1010008_zps8f41d3c0.jpg

P1010018_zpsca01f0c4.jpg

To get the blade looking the best I could get it meant polishing it pre-etch and then polishing it post-etch as well. Took me 4 attempts before I was satisfied. The result is something that could barely be captured in the pictures, the cladding is a shiny gun metal color while the core steel is a smokey brown/black....looks 100x better in person, you'll have to take my word for that.

P1010032_zps0c1ac735.jpg

P1010028_zpsd5d17e11.jpg

P1010006_zps90804f12.jpg

P1010011_zps57efcb85.jpg

P1010035_zpsdf8f1eb4.jpg

P1010019_zpsa8b3c561.jpg

Wow Dave I can't wait to see it in person. Thx a ton. It turned out better than what you were thinking at one point. Again great job.!!!!

Wow Dave I can't wait to see it in person. Thx a ton. It turned out better than what you were thinking at one point. Again great job.!!!!

I'm glad that you like it Shane. Hopefully it'll please even more when you get it in your hands. Thanks for the chance to do something different! :)

Beautiful Dave! I know the exact colors and effect you mean. In sunlight I bet the 'gunmetal' cladding reflects a microscopic sized rainbow of colors, while the hard edge steel took on a grey/brown/black color. The way you polished it it almost looks like a monosteel blade with a very narrow clay hardening!

Killer job Dave. Was any of the polishing done on wheels, or all by hand ?

Dave, that is just incredible, looks so good. I thought it was going to a coworker for a second, I work with a guy named Shayn, and he has a 270 mizuno which has had a ton of action, got a little excited until I saw it was going to Crothcipt. Good taste Shane, that's one of the nicest Mizunos I have seen. Great handle as well Stefan, I gotta get me some bakelite one day, looks fantastic.

Dayum, that looks amazing... And judging by the kanji, looks like a serious thinning job too

That turned out really well. I could look at before and after pics like that all day.
I love the transition area between the cladding and the core.

Stephan's handles always seem to have a really unique and individual personality.
It's crazy how well the bakelite matches the mammoth tooth.

Soooo cool! Nice job once again Dave and Stefan.

Great choice on the blue mammoth. I knew that was going to come out stunning. Really beautiful.

I got this on Thursday, and I am just speechless. I am now the proud owner of a knife to pretty to use. Well it will take me a few weeks to get my nerve up to use it. When Dave says it's even more stunning in person he wasn't lying.

I got this on Thursday, and I am just speechless. I am now the proud owner of a knife to pretty to use. Well it will take me a few weeks to get my nerve up to use it. When Dave says it's even more stunning in person he wasn't lying.

You got it AND you like it! :doublethumbsup:

Back